Archinect
anchor

In Philadelphia for the weekend

I'll be in Philadelphia from this evening through Sunday afternoon. If any local archinecters want to get together for a beer or three, drop me an email. We'll be staying in a hotel downtown. This is my first time in Pennsylvania, but I'm traveling with one Penn Design Alum, as well as another former resident of Philly.

on Friday morning we will be visiting UPenn, first to tour the Landscape Architecture dept, then for a tour of the Architecture dept...The GF will be applying to UPenn Architecture for grad school (her father is the aforementioned alumnus). I'm just curious...

*This trip was spontenously scheduled after receiving an email from Southwest Airlines about discount airfare from Jacksonville to Philly. It's going to cost about 50 cents to travel round trip...so, why not...

Mar 1, 07 10:24 am
vado retro

i always wanted to go HERE to see the giant colon!!!

Mar 1, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

enjoy a cheesesteak.
at penn, the LARPs are typically freindly, just don't feed them.

Mar 1, 07 11:35 am  · 
 · 
AP

definitely will eat at Pat's...or maybe Geno's...

vado, I sent that link to my travel buddies...we're going to the Philadelphia Museum of Art tomorrow afternoon, maybe after that we can check out the medical monstrosities at the Mütter...

Mar 1, 07 12:44 pm  · 
 · 
mike de

as a philadelphian, i say skip pats and genos and hit up Jim's on South Street

Mar 1, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
AP

I was just told that Mama's Pizzeria is on the agenda, for Sat. lunch.

thanks for the pointer, mike.

Mar 1, 07 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

A few hits:

Make sure you go inside the Furness Library, and if they'll let you in without paying, go in to the main atrium space of the Academy of Fine Art (PAFA - also Furness). Sublime.

Kahn's Richards Medical building is also not to be missed, though it's a bit beat up.

Walk the 18-22 or so blocks (that's 1800 through 2200) of Delancey Street for great historic wealthy residential. This is slightly off of Rittenhouse Square, one of America's great downtown urban public parks, which is also worth a visit.

For art, Space 1026.

Unpretentious local bar with good burgers, Tangier on South Street - at the other end of South Street (at 18th).

Then Walk around the corner to Bainbridge Street - the one house set back from the street on the 1700 block used to be mine (sigh).

God I miss Philly.

Mar 1, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I second mike de's suggestion about Jim's. And be sure to get some Yuengling lager.

Mar 1, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

You may not need more advice...

and I've also mentioned this before, but First Friday is in Old City tomorrow. It has indeed become the "hip thing" to do, but if you're interested in seeing some local Philly art, its very interesting. A lot of small galleries everywhere that is worth the visit. They actually had an architecture student exhibit down there since last month but it is down now.
While you're there you can always stop by the touristy Elphreth's Alley and Betsy Ross House if you're into that type of thing. Oh and America's oldest intact candy store is near there too - between front and second on Market I believe.

LB - I've probably walked by your house many times. Such a small world

Mar 1, 07 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

LB- we used to be neighbors! I lived on St. Albans (slightly to the west).

yuengling black and tans are better then the lager.

penndesign does a happyhour fridays at 5pm- typically will have yuenglings on ice :)

Mar 1, 07 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
ih1542006

Check out any Steven Star restaurant . Cutting edge interiors Heres a sample

El Vez for Happy Hour,
then BarClay Prime for Dinner,
Jones for Brunch, next day

http://starr-restaurant.com/sro.html

Mar 1, 07 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
haano

check out ICA while at upenn

http://www.icaphila.org/

Mar 1, 07 8:15 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i second vado, because i've been there, the Mutter is fucked up crazy cool.

Mar 1, 07 8:20 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Though Mutter can leave you feeling queasy for the rest of the day - don't go there if you are hungover, either.

ICA is also a must-see, good idea, haano.

Elfreth's Alley is a tourist mecca but! keep in mind it is also still very much a residential street - I knew people who lived there. Amazing example of urban residential space, and very interesting to then contrast it with the Delancey Street blocks I mentioned above, some 100 years later.

I'd love a YuengLing Lager right now, jeez. However, Victory Brewing Hop Devil IPA is the one I would truly commit a crime to get my hands on.

And just to weigh in on cheesesteaks: Gooey Louie's in deep South Philly on Moyamensing.

Mar 1, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
AP

thanks for the tips, everyone. now, if anyone local wants to grab a beer tomorrow or Saturday night, email me...

Mar 1, 07 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

mmm...yuengling

Mar 1, 07 11:07 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

bumping the philly love, because...

come rain or shine or feast or fowl...i'll be there on Bloomsday!

that's june 16 for the non-joyce lovers.

those are some good suggestions up there, and i'll be taking some of them.

although there will be massive partying (if you only knew the bride and groom...scary fun times!) i expect a couple of private times with cheesesteaks and brotherly love of the most platonic kind.

the Furness library and Kahn's Medical Building are on the list, as is the Italian Market which I love.

i'm expecitng much yuengling at the nuptials, so no worries there. i will have my fill.

it's been about 4 years since i last set foot in franklin's town, and i tell you i am looking forward to it.

the grit and the grime, and fancy and sublime...philadelphia here i come!

May 30, 07 5:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

oh...any other not-to-be-missed spots for a native jersey boy coming home to roost and raise a few feathers with my cross-the-delaware-rivals?!?

May 30, 07 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

i'm not sure where else you should go mightylittle (I've only been there 2 brief times), but the way you are talking about philly is making me really excited to move there!!!!

man...august can't come soon enough!

have FUN...take pics + post ‘em (though it seems that you’ll have to edit ;)….

May 30, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
xacto

mike de knows it right. jims is by far the best. i always enjoy going to the pma. the contemporary art section has a great collection of duchamp, johns, and brancusi.

also, probably the most underappreciated part of penn is the anthropology museum. i would def check it out if you have some time.

May 30, 07 8:06 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

i agree on the cheesesteaks...jim's is the real deal.

but the fun-house vibe on the street between Pats and Genos is kind of a bizarre attraction in and of itself.

nothing like people watching a thousand drunk frat boys and girls with greasy chins!

xacto - thanks for the tip. i completely forgot about the pma. i may not have been there since i was a kid.

whattodo - philly's a great town, fo' shizzle. i'm looking forward to it.

you're going for grad school, no? i imagine it should be a most enjoyable time.

btw - the 700 Club is a great hipster dive bar in northern liberties i think. the groom in the wedding i'm attending has been working there for a while.

May 31, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

mighty...yup, going to penn...

you should write guide books! I love the way you describe things in such a shooting the shit kinda casual way.

plus, you seem to know where all the hep-cats lay.

ok, I totally rhymed accidentally...I'll be on my way.

May 31, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

thanks for the props...jersey boys always know how to bullshit!

it's in my blood i guess.

May 31, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
quixotica

Mightylittle, make sure you throw a rock at the cira center as you pass by.

May 31, 07 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

If you're going to hit up PMA, don't forget the Rodin museum. This beautiful masterpiece by Cret proves that size doesn't matter. In architecture, anyway.

May 31, 07 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
impalajunkie

Check out Tim McDonald of Onion Flat's development, Rag Flats, and his other projects in the area. VERY worth seeing if you can find a way in without pissing the residents off.
www.onionflats.com

Jun 1, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: