Archinect
anchor

getting your stamp?

eyewash

I've been professionally licensed for over 5 years now, but haven't bothered with getting my actual stamp/seal until now.  Where does one buy/order one?  Do they come directly from the state that one is registered or are there special outlets or retailers?

What's the preferred method? Ink pad? Embosser?

Jul 11, 12 7:51 am
curtkram

I googled something to the effect of 'stamp maker' and there was a guy just down the street from where I work.  My state required me to get a stamp before I actually got the license, and I had to send them a stamped bit of paper to show them I have it.

Embossers suck.

Jul 11, 12 9:21 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

don't get the embosser unless you want carpal tunnel.

Jul 11, 12 9:47 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

Actually I had this same question recently... my state lets me get it in whatever color & size I want, so I was curious: red ink or black?  

Jul 11, 12 11:58 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

And also - eyewash - there's a ton of online "professional stamp" places.  I just went thru them till I found the one with the cheapest total price - including shipping, which varies a lot.  Also, personally I'm going with the self-inking kind, because every firm I've stamped in it's always a total pain to have to hit the ink and then the page, over and over and over again...  self-inking is awesome.

Jul 11, 12 11:59 am  · 
 · 

i got one when i first got licensed. i used it once. don't know where it is. 

Jul 11, 12 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

I bought local, from a small stamp maker in my town, who probably buys from one of the online companies.  But this shop did have a template for my state's requirements, all I did was give them my registration number and spelling of my name.

Also, some states require an embossed seal, not an ink stamp, so check into that.

Some states - check with yours - allow you to design the seal yourself if you stay within their size and included information guidelines.  That could be fun!

Jul 11, 12 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i got one when i first got licensed. i used it once. don't know where it is.

I only used mine when I had to show the state I had a stamp (as mentioned above).  It's in a closet at my house in the brown paper bag it was originally delivered in, so at least I still know where it's at :)

Unless it moved.  That could be too.

The actual point of my reply is that my stamp is not self inking.  Since I don't regularly use it, I think the self-inking bit would screw it up some.  The ink would dry out, there would possibly be some sort of ink-crustiness (I don't really know how they work or if that happens).  It's not a question of price, it's that my simple wood no-frills stamp works much better for my use.  Less is more :)

Jul 11, 12 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

No you just add a drop of ink to the self-inking pad when you need to use it.  Super easy.  You can get the ink dropper thingy at Michael's.  You have to do this anyway with regular stamp pads if they end up sitting in closet forever. :-)  Either way, you get old dried out pads that need re-inking, is my point... 

Jul 11, 12 12:34 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: