Archinect
anchor

posthumous architecture

PROJECT x

I'm researching criticism of posthumously built architectural design. I have found some random newspaper articles about the controversies but I'm looking for critiques or responses from architecture scholars. Does anyone have any suggestions?

-or-

Does anyone know why there is so little information available on this topic?

Thanks

Feb 28, 07 10:46 pm
some person

I wonder if Philip Johnson had anything "in the works" when he passed away a few years ago. If so, it could very well be under construction by now... (Which makes me wonder if he worked until his final days or if he officially retired quite some time ago. I guess I don't know as much as I should about him.)

Feb 28, 07 10:54 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

You could check into Corb's Church in Firminy recently completed by Jose Oubrerie or check out the Frank LLoyd Wrighthouse recently completed in New York.

Both raise the question of authorship and authenticity...

Feb 28, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

Check out:

Weiling He "When does a sentiment become an architectural concept? Otherness in Hejduk's Wall House 2" Journal of Architecture (2005) (About the rebuilding of Hejduk's Wall House in Groningen)

Josep Quetglas, Fear of Glass: Mies van der Rohe's Pavilion in Barcelona (Birkhauser, 2001)

Quetglas, "Fear of Glass" in Beatriz Colomina, ed. Architectureproduction (Princeton 1988)

(Quetglas' article and book deal with the reconstruction of the Barcelona Pavilion in the 1980s)

Feb 28, 07 11:14 pm  · 
 · 

There seems to be a weird, almost quasi-religious movement out there to construct unbuilt Hejduk projects. Christofffinio (somewhere in NYC), Eisenman (at Santiago de Compostela), and the Groningen Wall House are the only ones that I know of, but I'll bet there are more to find for the digging. Cooper Union take home test?

Also, of course there's Miralles' Scottish Parliament, completed after his death.

Feb 28, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Von Spreckleson's Grande Arche at La Defense wasn't completed until two years after his death. A year prior, he left the project after disagreements with the local architects (and Mitterand's government) calling it "a monument without a soul".

Alas, I have no citations to offer you except for that anecdote.

Mar 1, 07 12:14 am  · 
 · 
spaceghost

gaudi-sagrada familia, though i think it was started before he passed, it is now being interpreted and completed by another architect.

Mar 1, 07 12:29 am  · 
 · 

bruce goff died and bart prince finished it.

once you go to the link, check out the most eleborate title block on the blueprint.
it has a round compartment for the stamp. bart prince is so 'a to z.'

Mar 1, 07 12:44 am  · 
 · 
atowle

Miralles died before the Scottish Parliament was finished

google image search

Mar 1, 07 8:07 am  · 
 · 
Medit

Miralles died before lots of other projects were finished: Holyrood, the Santa Caterina Market, the Diagonal Mar Park, etc... and just like the Sagrada Familia was carried on by the same personal collaborators who helped Gaudí in his final years, so did B. Tagliabue with all Miralles projects..
and there's nothing wrong about it, me thinks (though lots of people think otherwise, especially with the present continuation of the Sagrada Familia)

Mar 1, 07 8:13 am  · 
 · 
atowle

Also . . . although Jorn Utzon didn't actually die during the process, the Sydney Opera House was completed after he had resigned from the project. The interior of the concert halls being designed to a new set of drawings, this, supposidly, resulted in a mush less acoustically perfect and dramatic solution.

Mar 1, 07 8:18 am  · 
 · 

quite a few frank lloyd wright buildings have been built many years after his death... i believe that there was a civic center/convention center sorta thing that was built maybe 6-7 years ago somewhere in wisconsin...

also, i think that the ford foundation in nyc was completed by kevin roche after saarinen's death...

Mar 1, 07 8:42 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

I imagine why it's not entirely wide spread is because of retiring. I guess that the majority of acrhitects get out of the business before they are TOO close to death, so there aren't projects on the boards. The cases we usually see are either premature deaths where projects are all ready to start construction OR starchitects. I mean, I can't imagine someone will build one of my designs iassuming I retire at 65, 70. There may be liability and intellectual property rights issues and what not.

Mar 1, 07 9:11 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

I believe the FLW building architphil was mentioning is in Madison and called Monona Terrace.

Mar 1, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 

yep, that's it... thanks janosh...

also, someone mentioned philip johnson earlier... i believe that the urban glass house is currently under construction in NYC... it was designed by PJ and Annabelle Selldorf before his death... it is supposed to be a highrise condo version of his original glass house (shudder!!!)... and they're definitely pushing the starchitect angle in the marketing stuff...

Mar 1, 07 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Medit

there's some Hejduk works also... in Galicia, near Eisenman's City of Culture project, there's a couple of towers designed in 1992 and built in 2000

http://www.cidadedacultura.es/proxecto/biografia.php?txt=edif_torres_hejduk&lg=ing

and the Wall House in Groningen, designed in 1973 and built in 2001

Mar 1, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
Mar 1, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

The Miralles comments are a crock of shit because his Tagliabue (wife) was the design partner in the practice.

Mar 1, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Gee, I thought Villa Savoye was built years ago. I didn't realise those were just really sophisticated computer renderings in the Corb books. And weren't the drawings/renderings larger? Must have been Value Engineered.

Where is that?!

Mar 1, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 

it could be anywhere.

Mar 1, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 

Orhan is that what I think it is? Oh hell no...a down scaled Villa Savoye...sacrilage!! Sacrilage you hear me!!

Mar 1, 07 6:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: