Archinect
anchor

Would windows this size be feasible?

Thecyclist

My 2nd year of arch. school I designed a house located in the southeastern U.S.  An eastern wall 9" thick has long skinny horizontal slots cut out for windows.  The slots are only 12" tall, but fairly long horizontally.  My intention here is to allow a little bit of direct early morning sunlight to enter the living space.  I was thinking about the glazing being put in these slots and figured after a windows frame is put in, the actually glazing would only be about 9" tall at the max.  In your experience, have you seen glazing done like this?  Thanks for any input!

Jul 11, 12 12:15 am
accesskb

Anything is possible if you have the money.  If you're looking to use readily available glazing and mullion of that size, then its likely not available. 

I wouldn't worry too much about whether its feasible or available during second year arch school.  Work on pushing your design intent.

Jul 11, 12 7:05 am  · 
 · 

if it's a 9" tall slot, just make it as long as you want and assume that the sections are 9" x 3', 9" x 4', or something. it's no big deal to butt insulated glass units end to end and - at only 9" tall - it's not likely to have much visual impact. it can be clean, no frame, just a sealant or gasketed joint. use the joints to your advantage some way. 

Jul 11, 12 7:28 am  · 
 · 
mantaray

This is really no big deal.  You don't say how long the total length of window opening is, but assuming it's under, say, 18'-20' long or so, you could conceivably span a wood laminated beam along the length above the window, so that you don't need to have any structural supports interfering with your window opening.  This wouldn't even be an exorbitant cost.  Longer lengths will start to get more expensive, but as it's ALL feasible in the realm of physics, I agree with the other commenter that for 2nd year, you just need to present something vaguely realistic and don't worry so much about the details/cost.  And this is totally realistic.

As for the window itself, agree with Steven Ward.

Jul 11, 12 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: