Archinect
anchor

What's your (manual) drafting/drawing setup like?

Tell me about your manual workspace (if you have one), please. Most specifically, I am curious about drafting tables/boards and the related equipment. But I'd to love know about any other tools/goodies you use as well...

Drop all the namebrands you can!

Aug 8, 04 5:14 pm
Dan

I have a mayline parallel rule attached to a sheet of plywood with a vinyl drawing surface. But I haven't used it in a year.

Aug 8, 04 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
the righteous fist

i'm wearing a faber castell mechanical clutch pencil, forest green, 2mm lead (nimbaro taki, ex-katana-smith) with ABS chrome trim in neo-bauhaus. the denby drafting unit stands next to the herman miller aeron with the white marle on french roan hatch, architecture review says the weighting of the chair "draws an occulus over your soul, herman's best". the hatch sets off my sicilian rail parallel motion, signed by renzo piano, and is $400 more expensive than pall owyn's corsican draughting machine, but i screwed his wife over lunch anyway....

Aug 8, 04 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
momentum

get the biggest parallel bar you can and don't forget to use it once in a while after you start pumping cad.

Aug 8, 04 8:24 pm  · 
 · 
pvb358

nonexistant

Aug 8, 04 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

Your manual drafting set up is important. My setup is a crapfest and I end up with severe left shoulder pain (the side that braces the t-square) at the end of the semester.

For starters, make sure you set up your paraline. I have a hand-me-down table that came with a cracked edge paraline. So I use a t-square. I could replace the acrylic edge, but that would make my life too easy.

The chair is slightly less important than people might say. Comfortable shoes would be a better investment because I find that I (along with most of the people in my studio) usually stand while drafting. I think this is Of course their are times when I sit, but, it's usually during breaktime or easy lettering or for rendering.

My lamp sucks, too. I usually end up propping it up with an extra t-square. A good lamp that holds the position you put it in is invaluable.

Other than that you'll want a little table to hold your tools within arms reach. I use a dish drainer to organize my random templates and triangles and pencils.

Don't be like me and you should be pretty happy.

Aug 9, 04 2:19 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

you DRAW BY HAND?????
god, i though we got rid of the last of you a few years ago...gimme the address, i'm sending the boys down to set up a huge workstation, printer, plotter and a firewire interface for your cranium...

Aug 9, 04 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
design geek-girl

I get to use all that stuff this coming semester. 1st year starts out with t-squares though and I can't say that's a bad thing.

Unfortunately, I've been going part time, so, it took 3 years to complete my first year, so, that's three years of manual drafting. Ouch. At least, I'll be using the computer now that I'm going full time, this semester.

Aug 9, 04 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy

just a sketchbook

Aug 9, 04 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
bigness

yeah, by the way, just a sketchbook, a pilot v5 and a hb pencil

Aug 9, 04 3:04 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

as my soul leaps from the edge of the last shred of artistic talent left in my hand i ponder the existance that was once a stary eyed architecture student contemplating the next great origanal thought in the field of architecture. These thoughts originating from spending hours sketching the facade of churches built before the idea of what our time could be. The small village in italy that was the place of my contemplating set the ideal backdrop for the blues and purples in the watercolor i had been touling over most of the day. as the sun begins to fade, and the paint dries how was i supposed to for see the true future of "the architect". ten hours a day with hands connected to mechanical and digital media that seems to steel the artistic and sometimes creative juices that once were. what is my manual set up you ask...it is a memory

Aug 9, 04 4:33 pm  · 
 · 
oe

ruler/scale + pencil/pen + compas/curvy thing from france = voila

Aug 9, 04 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
A

One side of my area is the computer on the crappy plastic laminate desk provided by the systems furniture people.

On the other side is a relic of the past drafting table. A 60" wide adjustable table with a clean sheet of vyco on the surface. The old drafting arm was probably stolen by an upset former employee so I got the powers to purchase me a brand new mayline upon my arrivial. I have a very good lamp that has both flourescent and incandescent bulbs. Forget the name but it's the good one in the drafting supply catalog.

Never have done a CD drawing on the table but it's invaluable for doing acurate study drawings as well as old school renderings. To me that table is worth far more than the other half of my 'cube.' That is where design happens. The computer is where archinect happens. - read not working.

Aug 9, 04 11:15 pm  · 
 · 
c.k.

I loved my Rotring templates, Rotring rapidographs (ink is dry for 6 years now) . The templates are still nicer than what I see here and roughly 1/4 is same as 1:50 scale. Back in those days i was in a school where drafting was done in ink (over pencil) and almost nobody had a computer.
I am not nostalgic and never use it anymore although a computer desk will never measure with a drafting table if you need a quick drawing.

Aug 9, 04 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
David Zeibin

This is somewhat off-topic, but the "need a quick drawing" comment reminded me of SketchUp. Anyone use it on a regular basis?

Aug 9, 04 11:55 pm  · 
 · 
gasp

trace paper, clutch pencil and a scale

moleskin and a pilot precise V5fine

large cutting mat, knife, millboard, masking tape

laptop, and an ipod

Aug 10, 04 7:50 am  · 
 · 
oe
The second honorary cabbage-of-the-month award has been claimed by Mr Gasp. Congratulations to you and your pet parakeet. Your prize may be claimed at the second-honrary-cabbage-of-the month award ceremony in poland under the pinapple tree. byop, etc,. mind the step.
Aug 10, 04 9:08 am  · 
 · 
gasp

see you at the awards ceremony!

Aug 10, 04 10:24 am  · 
 · 
gasp

Who won first by the way? I hate losing...

Aug 10, 04 10:28 am  · 
 · 
abracadabra

i use whatever means necessary for my work. recommended.

Aug 10, 04 2:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: