Archinect
anchor

Seattle/UW visit advice

rationalist

Hey all, I'm going to be visiting the University of Washington on March 16th-28th, and have some questions.

1) Hostel downtown or hotel accross the street from campus? They come out to about the same price thanks to Expedia's flight+hotel combo deals. Is it better to have tons of fun downtown, or get the real campus feel?

2) What do I need to see?

3) Is it still hella cold in Seattle in March?

Feb 28, 07 4:24 pm
e

rationalist, it snowed briefly in the city today. it could be cold. i would def. bring layers.

Feb 28, 07 4:26 pm  · 
 · 
outed

you absolutely have to see:

the seattle public library
the new olympic sculpture park
the chapel of st. ignatius (on the campus of seattle u.)

you really should see:

walk around downtown, which is booming.
some of the cutler anderson work on bainbridge island
a game at the new baseball stadium (but you're a wee bit early).

after that, ask one of the natives...

Feb 28, 07 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
dogfish

no reason to stay near campus as you are arriving the week between quarters(17-25), so no classes. Too bad you aren't coming a bit earlier for end of quarter reviews.
I'm in the landscape architecture program, our current studio is inter-disciplinary with arch and planning(all grad students). Working through a HUD grant with New Orleans, spent a week down there in Jan.

Go see the sculpture park downtown, not much in the U district of note.
I came up from LA after 7 years there and we were ready to get out of S. Cal. Seattle is ok, it feels small and does not have the edge or urgency I have felt when I lived in LA or Chicago.

Seattle is on the cutting edge for urban ecological design from my L.Arch perspective,and it's an easy city to live in.

good luck, hope you plan to meet a lot of the faculty. Can't vouch for arch dept, but I'm pretty happy with my choice.

Mar 1, 07 12:55 am  · 
 · 

There are only deluxe rooms available during my stay, and they are definitely out of my price range. It certainly does look nice though. I think I'll end up at Hostel International.

dogfish- I'm actually applying for the Visual Communications program, not architecture. And yeah, the whole point of going up is so that I can interview with the faculty. I WAS hoping to meet students as well, which the faculty member who contacted me mentioned would happen, but I don't see how if they'll be on break. Well, I'll be on campus on the 16th, so hopefully there'll still be some students around?

Thanks for all of the recommendations, keep it coming!

Mar 1, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 

i agree, stay in downtown and take the bus to campus...

and check out the Henry Art Gallery on campus... it has a James Turrell "skyspace"

Mar 1, 07 8:59 am  · 
 · 
bRink

I'd suggest also going to Seattle Center (the space needle area etc.)... Check out the Experience Music Project. Love it or hate it, it is something to look at (worth it to at least just walk into the lobby and around the building...)

While there you can have a nice savory or sweet crepe nearby at: http://www.cafedarclee.com/

Mar 1, 07 10:12 am  · 
 · 

mmmm, crepes....

I booked my flight! I'm arriving mid-morning on Friday the 16th, and leaving before noon on Sunday the 18th. I paid the extra $15 to not fly out at 6:30 am the day after St. Patty's Day, because I expect to be a tad hung over.

Mar 1, 07 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

there's a great noodle bar in belltown for some cheap grub... i can't recall the name... maybe one of the seattle 'nectors can name it... there was also an italian restaurant in the same area with a dessert call "limoncello tartufo" that was incredible... again, can't remember the name though...

Mar 1, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic

Here's my advice after having lived in Seattle for 20 years: don't worry so much about the architectural sites for now. If you're really going to be there for 12 days, as much as it pains me to say it, rent a car and explore the city. The bus system, the only real transportation system is ok if you know it but not great if you're a visitor. If you're looking at whether or not it's a city you want to go to school in, it's best just to get a feel for the culture and lifestyle. Though there are TONS of SoCal people in Seattle now, the cultures are pretty different.

Besides, Seattle until recently hasn't really been touristy. There are things people say to see, but it's really a city you should just explore. Just buy a map of the city and get a feel for it. I know you're of age where renting a car is more expensive, but it's an extra $10 a day, so just do it for a few days if you can. As for where to stay, it might be worth it to try and get a current student in your department to let you crash at their place. Maybe it'd be weird, but you might get a better feel for what it would be like being a student there.

Finally, for weather...I'll be around in Seattle the same week you're there, and I'm hoping for 50s. Overcast is the name of the game in the Northwest. It's overcast so often, they don't even really use the term. But the weather is very mild year-round, not all that different than the Bay Area.

Mar 1, 07 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
nomadic

Whoops, i see now that you're only going to be there for 2 days....well, all the more reason to try to not be touristy and just wander as much as possible...

Mar 1, 07 7:14 pm  · 
 · 

d'oh! I didn't even notice the typo until I read your response to it. Yeah, the 16th-18th. Sorry about that guys.

Mar 1, 07 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

architphil - you talking aboot the noodle ranch?

expect low 50s max. it's been colder than a witches... well, ya know.
as far as places to eat...
salumi
via tribunali

Mar 1, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 

I'm probably going to go with a really lazy attitude towards food.... the hostel provides breakfast, lunch friday will be at UW, and all other meals (unless the Seattle archinectors get together) will be spur-of-the moment decisions made based on what looks good where I'm at.

Mar 1, 07 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

in that case, i recommend drinking @ cap hill saturday night so on the walk home, you can grab frites - everytime i eat there, i come weeks closer to actually going back.

Mar 1, 07 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: