Archinect
anchor

Kunstler and Plebian Comfort Objectives

yunomihomie

Kunstler said in a recent address to students at the University of Minnesota, "Above and beyond plebian comfort objectives, the treatment of the main facade can impose smothering constraints upon the philosophies of commonality and standardization".

Do you agree or disagree? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

Feb 28, 07 12:13 pm
tube steel

agree. indubitably the life-cycle cost control adds overriding three dimensional constraints to the final quantitative analysis. no doubt about it.

Feb 28, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
yunomihomie

interesting approach.

Feb 28, 07 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
tube steel

it really is. i mean, with sensitive respect for human scale the massing of major elements recognizes the critical necessity to subtract from the creation of an immortal monument to posterity. thoughts??

Feb 28, 07 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
yunomihomie

wow dogg..you're on a whole different level of thinking...slow down....

Feb 28, 07 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
tube steel

ok - let's go back to the idea that the treatment of the main facade can impose smothering constraints upon the philosophies of commonality and standardization. when addressing the clearly metaphorical concept of the "main facade" it's impossible to move into both the common and the standard without first addressing the now created, and newly necessary monument to posterity? clearer?

Feb 28, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 
yunomihomie

yeah...I'm back on track, but I'm not sure I totally agree.....

Feb 28, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
yunomihomie

Does anyone else have any thoughts other than tube steel....I'd love to get some other opinions!

Feb 28, 07 1:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

when did the Archinect dscussions move from CHG (cute hipster girls) to theory???

Feb 28, 07 1:47 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I have been out of college way too long. That Kunstler statement is just as confusing as Tube Steel's response.

Having read Kunstler's books I am aware how he despises that most modern buildings lack of pedestrian scale. Can't say I disagree with him. Not sure where life cycle control 3D costs and all that jive is coming from. Then again, I'm sure Mr. Steel wasn't on the phone with a contractor over 1/2 his lunch break.

Feb 28, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
yunomihomie

kunstler may despise how modern buildings lack pedestrian scale, but his position on the the treatment of the main facade (in relation to the philosophies of commonality and standardization) may be in conflict with this, don't you think?

Feb 28, 07 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

tube steel is fuckin' with you folks...he's obviously using the babble generator

Feb 28, 07 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

and all this time i thought it was philosophy was supplying the constraints.

need to get back to my arch graphic standards to get my classical details.

Feb 28, 07 6:03 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

was philosophy was...WTF

i must've got a contact buzz from my co-workers at lunch (martini to the left and red wine to right)

Feb 28, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
dia

tube steel = yunomihomieisknonfnwvt

Feb 28, 07 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yep dia, definitely.

Feb 28, 07 9:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: