Archinect
anchor

33 too old?

blackturtleneck

I'm sure this topic comes up a lot but I was wondering what people think - is 33 too old to go for an M.Arch? If not, how many years after that should I plan to live in poverty, etc before finally breaking even?

Thanx

Feb 27, 07 10:26 pm
holz.box

wait for it.... wait...

Feb 27, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
binary

slangin' man....

get out of debt first then retry school..... i had to double think getting an m.a. in ID at cranbrook........wanted to go but finacially couldnt......now looking back...maybe i did the right thing....but then again...i have no damn clue anymore

b

Feb 27, 07 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
difficultfix

There is an older female in my studio, And she is in her 60's

Then their is 2 males in their early forties, then Their is 2 females who are 37, and about 3 people that are from 30 to 32 ( which includes me at 30. everyone else ranges from 22 - 27

So I would have to say no you are not to old.

Oh yeah, we are in our 1st year of a 4+3 program

Feb 27, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

33 and still waiting to go back for an M.Arch... so, no.

I agree with Cryzko. get out of debt before going back for more.

Feb 28, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
Philarct

there's a 83 year old dude
in my drafting class

Feb 28, 07 10:30 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

OLD? i will be 40 when i start! is that old?

Feb 28, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

damn right beta....haha
NO as it as been said here and on another thread.....(which btw, pls do a search before starting a new thread), you are not too old.

Just know that you will bring more to that studio that those "youngins"
b/c of life experiences

Feb 28, 07 10:53 am  · 
 · 
simples

33 is not too old. However, financially, it's quite a risk.
Not only the cost of going back to school, and the missed income during that time, but also, as you predicted, the following years with an architect's or intern's salary.
Look at the salary poll in your area, for someone 25-26 years old, and that would probably be how much you'd be making after you receive your m.arch. Compare that amount to your current income, and weigh in your financial responsibilities (mortgage, daycare, student loans, etc.).

For sure you are not too old. But financially, it can be a challenge. You might actually consider holding out going back to school until you not only get out of debt, but also get some savings.

Feb 28, 07 11:00 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

the main issue with being older when starting in the profession(ie not school) is that people think you actually know more than you do. in fact, you are just as inexperienced as the 23 year old, but you look as if you should know more.

Feb 28, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

sweet, so the issue becomes whether or not to bust out the grecian formula?

Feb 28, 07 11:27 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

absolutely broccolijet......
:)

Feb 28, 07 11:28 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

only if it works on the crags!

Feb 28, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 
ff33º

whats grecian formula?

Feb 28, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Feb 28, 07 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

if you drink it, you magically transform into a Greek God (who, with the exception of zeus, all had wonderfully rich dark hair).

Feb 28, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
miss casual

yes you are too old to learn anything at 33. you might as well go work at circuit city and spend the rest of your days watching 'everyone loves raymond' reruns until you expire.

Feb 28, 07 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
jackalope

I started at age 34. You need to weigh the benefits and risks:

more credentials
professional growth
personal growth
some added value to your salary potential
new friends and connections
new expertise
possibly creating new knowledge for the profession through research

debt
moving
strained relationship (if you're in one)
lost or reduced salary
lack of sleep
superficial (or worse) students
hopelessly vague or sadistic professors
cruel critiques

In my view, benefits are worth the risk. I am having the time of my life, mostly because I'm unmarried and without kids. The greatest outcome of this are personal and professional growth and lots of deep thinking that I would never have done because real life to too busy.

Feb 28, 07 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Queen of England

The great thing about school is as you get older the chicks stay the same age. I'm waiting for middle age before going back n gettn some more.

Feb 28, 07 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

33 aint too old for the MDLER...

Feb 28, 07 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

nice Dazed and Confused reference Queen!

Feb 28, 07 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
Smokety Mc Smoke Smoke

<= 35

Feb 28, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

33 not too old.

but debt at that age CAN be tough. i saved to pay for school in cash and graduated without debt (age 31)...a big deal for me cuz i had (and still have) lovely wife and children to support...some of my classmates who did same (at same age) are just now getting out from under the shadow of low wages and debt, and it has been 7 years since they finished school...but they managed, so def more a matter of will than anything...

it is pretty telling that it took at least 5 years before they could earn a wage that didn't put stress on them, even living frugally. mostly because of the debt of education...

Feb 28, 07 8:52 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: