Archinect
anchor

Job offer abroad

sun chi

Hi all

I am a recent MArch graduate and applied to a job abroad in February with a firm that is just now being formed. After 2 skype interviews, a mini competition, and a round of e-mails, I was offered the job verbally in May. I was told that they are awaiting budget/funds approval and would be notified of a preliminary start date at the beginning of June. I followed up with two e-mails since then and am still waiting for a final decision/start date. The last e-mail I sent (June 19th) I did not receive an answer to yet. I know they are not under any time pressure or in a rush and may as well be still awaiting funds release or budget finalization, but I would like to know how long does this usually take and/or if anyone has any experience with waiting so long after a job offer?

Also, I don't want to be a pest but how long should I wait to follow up (if even appropriate) yet again?

Thanks much.

Jul 9, 12 12:44 pm
archinet

honestly I am in a similar situation....and I am just applying to other offices in the meantime. It might be that the specific project was cancelled, etc..... and I do not think you should be too shy to follow up, just straight up ask (politely) what the deal is. They must understand the situation on your part. E-mail them again-asap

I would not hold your breath and try other places in the meantime. Gotta keep moving!

Jul 9, 12 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

If you haven't heard from them for a week then you are in your right to follow up with an email. Don't be shy, it means that you are taking them seriously, plus they need to keep you informed, it's their job. At the same time don't rely on that 100%, keep applying for other positions. You can't afford to miss some other chances just because someone offered you a job "verbally".

Jul 10, 12 6:44 am  · 
 · 
sun chi

Thanks for the thoughts.. yes, I keep applying to other offices but the uncertainty with this position is just frustrating..

Jul 10, 12 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: