Archinect
anchor

LEED or ARE?

architecte

I am wondering for those who are interning, is your priority on completing all 7 exams of ARE first or on getting LEED AP?  

Jul 7, 12 12:50 am
backbay

LEED GA is something that you could study for a month, having never seen the material before, and be done with.  LEED AP would take a little more time, but nothings spectacular.  Some of my friends got AP straight out of school, having an internship or two under their belts where they worked on LEED projects.

ARE is difficult and takes a long time because it requires you to have learned things in school, in practice, and on your own.  It basically says:  yes, I'm actually qualified to do this.

Being licensed is much more valuable to a firm.  A lot of people are AP, and you only need so many on a project to get the results you want.  LEED AP just means you understand the rating system-- its not really a set of skills you can apply to anything else.

Jul 7, 12 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
RH-Arch

Both:
A. If I am looking for a job and do not have the majority of my hours then I would focus on LEED
B. If I have the majority of my hours ARE takes priority.

Jul 7, 12 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
awkeytect

Speaking from my own personal experience - they are both silly.

One took 1 month and gave me something to put next to my name, and the other took 7 months and an unnecessary amount of money. 

Jul 9, 12 5:16 pm  · 
 · 

are. 

when a critical mass of states adopt the igcc (green code), leed will be toast (he says hopefully). 

become an architect. 

Jul 9, 12 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Whoa, whoa, whoa! 

You're not saying that the four hundred bucks and two weekends I spent studying for the LEED exam way back when were all for nothing, are you?

Jul 10, 12 12:25 am  · 
 · 
garethcooper9

A friend of mine took both and that played a major role in getting a good job so I would say no effort in that directions is a waste.

Jul 10, 12 6:35 am  · 
 · 
i r giv up

do as holmes says.

if you're getting near the end of your idp hours, start taking the ARE.

Jul 10, 12 7:39 am  · 
 · 

Avoid LEED.  It's a private initiative that has been trying to muscle it's way into a position of authority.  You don't need them to tell you whether or not you are doing ecologically ethical work.  LEED can takes it's stupid branding and shove it up it's ass.

You are an architect, think & act with your own mind.

Vive la résistance, yo!

Jul 10, 12 10:32 am  · 
 · 
architecte

Sounds like ARE is the way to go!

Jul 10, 12 9:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: