Archinect
anchor

Rhino at Work?

difficultfix

I was just curious if any of you use Rhino at your office. I think its a really cool software. Which I am using at school I like the simplicity it has in creating really fast study models, I know how powerful it can be for presentation renderings. But is it a software that is in use in the field outside the education process. I know that in Industrial design it seems to be used alot more.

5 min study models... (simple, quick, form studies)

Another question.

At the school that I am at they offer classes in Form Z, how does that program differ to Rhino, is it better, faster, easier, is used more in the architectural field. Is used for the same purposes as rhino? I assume its a surace modeler Like Rhino. I tried using it but It seems to be more complex. Is it something worth learning or should I try to become really proffiecent in Rhino. I feel that I can Produce some pretty good models and even renderings but I have not got to the point I would like to be.

Thanx in advance...

Feb 25, 07 1:12 am
punky_brewster

there are a lot of offices that use Rhino in their workflow, but it is always in addition to a cad program such as microstation or autocad. and rhino has some limitations with large files (although v4 is supposed to be better..) but it is a great surface modeller, quite usefull for some.

form z is a solid modeller that can do surfaces, but lacks the surface tools inherent w/rhino. great solid modeller, though.

just remember, just because you CAN do cool crazy surfaces, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Feb 25, 07 2:18 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

punky brewster wins "mr. obvious of the year" with his last statement...

Feb 25, 07 2:51 am  · 
 · 
Manther

Why shouldn't you?

Feb 25, 07 4:30 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

i had extensivelly used rhino at work, and i know also other firms that use rhino on a daily basis and as a cornerstone of their work and development of their projects...

the offices i had work and used rhino at are:

Rojkind Arquitectos @ Mexico City (they also use MAYA sometimes)
Vicente Guallart @ Barcelona (all modelling in Rhino, renders in MAX)
WMA @ Barcelona (collaborated with them in a couple of competitions and we always used rhino)
Sadar Vuga arhitekti @ Ljubljana, Slovenia (we use several different softwares depending the project and the needs, from Rhino to Archicad, but i use more rhino)

other offices that i know they use RHINO (and the link of the sites of the people working inside this offices):

- Zaha Hadid Architects ltd., London(check Mark Fornes website)
- ASYMPTOTE, NY (check Alexander Pincus website)
- Bea Goller @ BCN
- ReD @ BCN

and besides all this offices using rhino to develop the projects they complement it with CAD programs for construction drawings and such...
learn rhino, is easy, is cheap, and has great compatibility with other softwares, i learned it in 2 days round 5 years ago, and i had be able to work in amazing offices and develop great ideas thanks to it

:) good luck

Feb 25, 07 8:03 am  · 
 · 
TED

nice links MAD! thx!

Feb 25, 07 9:38 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

no worries, keep rocking in da free world!

Feb 25, 07 10:03 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Hey MAD great links...

Yeah my models are just studies...

I realize its not used for CD's I was actually talking about during the design process, and maybe for marketing renderings..Anyways..

I didnt think that all you guys were CAD monkeys. I thought some of you were probably deisgners...

Feb 25, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
difficultfix

Ok. Cool..

hey. punky_brewster

Is form z used more in the field then Rhino. Should I try to learn that or focus more on Rhino. I am still in my first year in School. So I want to try to become really proffiecent at some software. I know due to time issues some softwres are going to have to be left behind. I am already proficent at AutoCAD, with about 4+ years experience, ANd I am pretty good at revit (since I use it almost everyday on my projects ay work & school).

Feb 25, 07 11:30 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

SHoP uses rhino as well

Feb 25, 07 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
punky_brewster

morphosis has used rhino, gehry, randall stout, daly+genik, gregg lynn, etc. etc...

DFIX,
seems that all the up and coming firms are using rhino in some way, so definately spend your 3d time there if you want to work for firms that do curve-based forms, milling/etc.
form z is still used in plenty of offices, it's just a different way of modelling, and seems to be popular w/ modernist based firms.

think about what you're into, and what firm you see yourself at in a couple years (or now if you want to intern w/ someone: suggested).

i've worked in offices that used both softwares, and in the end, it's really about what you produce, not how you produce it. and it all ends up in cad in the final output anyways.

but to make yourself marketable, learn rhino and cad very well and you'll be very employable by a lot of firms in need of your skills to figure out how to document their crazy designs.

good luck!

Feb 26, 07 2:28 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

hey i actually think u should focus in whatever u feel more comfortable using...i dont share the learn-towards-getting a job here or there...i guess u should use whatever u feel more comfortable, if u like to do construction plans in photoshop, then why the heck not??, hehehe ;)

Feb 26, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

Rojkind Arquitectos uses Archicad.

Btw, if you use Revit, Formz and Rhino are great tools to use in conjuntion with Revit. Geomtry created in either software can be imported seamlessly (.sat file) into Revit without loosing information.

Feb 27, 07 3:22 am  · 
 · 
brown666

even OMA is getting into it...

Feb 27, 07 7:09 am  · 
 · 
MADianito
JAJA

thats a myth...i worked in Rojkind arquitectos for almost a year, and the only one using MAC and Archicad in that office is actually Michel (the principal, we all the rest used PC's)...but believe what u want to

ArchiCAD 10 has the project "house PR34" by Rojkind arquitectos when it opens, but only cause Michel is their favourite son... all the modelling of that house was done actually in Solid Works for accuracy, anyways again, back then the things where modelled in rhino and checked on Solid Works, the renders are done in Archicad and MAX depending how much time Michel has to do them (he renders in ArchiCAD)....

Feb 27, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

Rhino is a must. Even if your office doesn't use it you should learn it. It's easy to learn, fast, powerful, inexpensive, compatibe with many file formats, and has nice accuracy for architecture. the rendering is great. there is a lot out there that might have the edge on rhino in one aspect or another, but none have all that rhino has. once you use it you will be able to convince any office to use it.

Feb 27, 07 2:43 pm  · 
 · 
jaja

MADianto....I assume the whole office uses Archicad, because Rojkinds is a heavy promoter of Archicad. Well, this just goes to show how deceiving the ‘customer’s story’ section of a software website can be.

Feb 28, 07 4:54 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

JAJA Rojkind is a heavy promoter of ArchiCAD and MAC and he uses it heavily (but only he), but the offices runs in other stuff (PCs, autocad, rhino, maya, etc)

...dont blame him...u need ur sponsors right??

*** PEOPLE what about the use of more "advanced" CAM oriented softwares, RHINO is a good start, but what about TOP SOLID or SOLIDWORKS???

Feb 28, 07 5:03 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

it IS for CD's as I said in my other post the new page layout stuff in v4 is amazing.

I have done Construction Documents in it since 1/2 a year ago in a July beta when all that drafting stuff like, line weights, hatch, line types, and printing were added. w/ a green build design firm at the time.

I now work for the 12th biggest firm in the states and I use it there too. It is integral to the process of design in my eyes cause of it's power and simplicity and how multi-disciplinary it is, basically what can't be made in Rhinoceros?

People right and left I am reading are not renewing there Acad licenses for Rhinoceros(make sense as autodesk cut off McNeel from being a acad reseller) and the universities around my area have it too and have had but mostly for industrial design, that all is changing now with the release of v4 as I see it.

Mar 17, 07 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
standaman

It is used quite a lot at Rafael Vinoly Architects. Rafael himself will sometimes come aroud, sit next to you, put his finger on the right mouse buton and twirl your model around until your dizzy. He'll then slap you and tell you how to start all over again cause he changed his mind.

Mar 17, 07 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

in that case turn on history on your curves

Mar 18, 07 1:23 am  · 
 · 
aspect

i use maya, may i ask how is it different from rhino? from what i see from the MAD's link, those are juz a few commands can be done in Maya too.

is it becos rhino gives u more precise dimensions?

Mar 18, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 
aspect

just remember, just because you CAN do cool crazy surfaces, doesn't mean you SHOULD IT LIKE EVERYONE ELSE... BE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 18, 07 2:00 am  · 
 · 
Jonas77

to the 16th decimal place if you want true to reprographics/rapid prototype standards of today
crazy curvy? anything and everything!

ever used the Math Plug-in?
http://rhino3.de/album/math/index.shtml

for some examples I have put formulas to get structural/functional'n'just funky/beautiful shapes from equations

Mar 18, 07 4:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: