Archinect
anchor

an open letter to the directors of architecture programs

just to clarify, the images above aren't renderings. it is a built work, done for the graduation project in architecture school (in europe).

Feb 26, 07 9:22 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Nice!

Feb 26, 07 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
BlueSteel

NICE!

Feb 26, 07 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

ville does some nice work.
i'd love to have my own firm at this point...

Feb 26, 07 10:45 pm  · 
 · 
jwo

damn, that thing looks dangerously close to 3D-H.

Feb 26, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 

yeah ville does do nice work.

the project was included in that huge world atlas for architecture too, and was published all over the bloody place in magazines for about a year after he built it. nice way to finish architecture school, no? AND he gets to open an office right after graduation too cuz that is how the system works in Finland...which goes to show, don't it?

don't believe his education was that different from a north american one. ville just happens to be more motivated than others...i suppose mdler could give him a call.

thank god that it ISN'T 3dh though. the thin and elegant structure would suddenly become a clunky massive object.

Feb 27, 07 2:41 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Well, have to agree - avanto is great, also Anu (the other principal) - btw they are looking for workers at the moment... So if you apply and get the place, we'll be working in the same space (I'm sharing a workroom with avanto and some other designers. It's very nice. and a good atmosphere. I recommend it.)

But, that finalwork is an exception, an extremely good and "ready" project - most finalworks over here are still practical, realistic to some degree and with an "anti-theory" bias. We would need more of reading, writing, thinking and talking. so it's not all great.

Feb 27, 07 3:34 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Well I guess 80 pct. of what is said against 3D-H count just aswell there, --- but don't take this wrong, it look as a splendid experimental structure even if it shuld be compared a building ,then realy I would prefere 3D-H.
--- Why , well the limitations just seen in the pictures shuld be obvious , I guess you wouldn't let it stand out for the night for more than a year ot two and the limitations in weak grain pinewood would soon show why wood decay so fast. Ofcaurse in 3D-H there would be a choice of materials and better suited could be chosen still --- I see this as the tradisional Hippie Dome and what it prove is just my words ; why build two houses when you want to build one.
Now I know 3D-H is not Fine enough for you academica, it is simply not useless enough, You can't weave enough theoretic nonsense around it, and as useal what you want to see, that is what you will se --- as you know 3D-H can be projected even to perform a lighter structure than this and it will not be a fight to add floors and stairs , in fact floors and stairs go in one with the framework and is not fiddled in aftewerds --- but I could go on adding to why academica praise such re-invented structures and omit the fact that 3D-H is so much smarter and acturly fit for computers ,how this structure less than 3D-H gurantie a homogene structure and most important for me compared for you, a structure with a use other than dead-end theoretic academica.

-------Listen I know 3D-H id not Fine enough , but realy I think this is in your mind, but tell me where this end where the progress is re-inventing what's been at display the last 40 years atleast , tell me why you sislike the bright new idears and praise the hippie aproach ; what's so good about it ?

Feb 27, 07 7:19 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Listen , what other reply would you expect ?

First one guy harnish that this is more elegant and 3D-H is in his mind is dull and dark , Gee you see one structure out of a million possible and then every one must act like this, even 3D-H will generate even lighter structures than this .

Then 3D-H is not theoretic enough and is not made by the celebrated within the spetacular academica circles ; please allow me to share my joy about just that.

But what everyone forget, it seem, is that there is the most -- even more than any 3D-H structure -- useless structure. There are no pointer to anything after the task about adding the floors are done ; no suggestion about how to add a window, no gurantie that repairing such structure would not mean tearing the whole thing down , as every stringer are hidden behind a bunch of others and --- what material will you chose when you realise the shortlivity of tiny grained pine.

Guess I shuld be happy that there to is not one single word about how to do this with a computer ; see the few who hands-on , know the limitations of hippie dome structures instantly will point to the fact, that it will not be the structure projected that will be the end result, na materials like this decide their own curves and nature decide what shape you will be allowed now, that's proberly allright in academica, that you draw one house but the result newer follow the measures , but please know that this is just one more reson I am so happy that 3D-H is not Fine enough for academic circles , you see ; with 3D-H the building projected will be the building structure build and measures will fit.

Gee you Romans soon will decide that going back in time is more Fine than develobing methods that work with computers, go right behind.

Feb 27, 07 7:40 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

hmm. Don't hijack every conversation with your rantings Per. It's quick to just scroll over them, but c'mon. Take your stuff to a more appropriate thread/site.

Feb 27, 07 7:47 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Helsinki --- what I just said is the conclution of those talking against 3D-H for each their reson, nad if you read the complains you will know that what they all say is, that 3D-H is not Fine enough.
So to answer all these academics with a general answer that cover all complains , one answer is enough , that I am not Fine enough and 3D-H is therefore not Fine enough ; gee what more can I agrea when all complains by core deal with just that ?
I know I am not Fine enough and a strait forwerds aproach, a hends-on aproach is cirtainly not Fine enough ; I learned that from when I was at the architect acadamy here in copenhagen . You see ,-- and you proberly know--- it is not very Fine to acturly be able to master the software and not Fine to have the ability to sort out new solutions. I know that as before I entered the school I was already a boatsbuilder and just that was so silli and by all means Un-Fine that it was a laugh, Now I don't say academica are arogant but I say I am glad that 3D-H is not Fine enough and esp. I am happy that I was newer Fine enough.

Feb 27, 07 8:29 am  · 
 · 

hah, funny you should point out the non theoretical approach to architecture over there, helsinki. everyone i meet from finland tells me the same thing, usually sadly, and over a drink or two, oddly enough. but one of my best friends in grad school went through the system and came out brilliant, and then there is always ville. i was expecting him to take a prize at that thing in genoa, but it was in the end maybe too "real" for the judges...

am glad to hear that his office is doing well enough to take on staff. very cool.

Feb 27, 07 9:10 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

jump-
isn't that the way every arch program in europe works (with the exception of UK) that when you graduate, you're considered an architect, not an intern? That's how the NL, Germany and Switzerland operate, in any manner.
But you end up with a lot of people not graduating until they're in 30s, which again, might be better for the profession.

Feb 27, 07 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Helsinki

Yeah. that's how it works. I'm going to graduate in a year (hopefully) - started studying in 1999, been working the 5 last years almost all the time in an office fulltime and doing school stuff on the side. Mine's a pretty ordinary finnish case. and when I graduate, I'll be considered "an Architect".

and yeah. we usually talk about our lack of theoretical grounding - after a few drinks. so sad.

Feb 28, 07 5:54 am  · 
 · 

It's worth quoting at length from this document. It's the NAAB Conditions for Accreditation, applied to professional degree programs. This is from the list of skills a student must have after completing the program:

16. Program Preparation
Ability to prepare a comprehensive program for an architectural project, including assessment of client and user needs, a critical review of appropriate precedents, an inventory of space and equipment requirements, an analysis of site conditions, a
review of the relevant laws and standards and assessment of their implication for the project, and a definition of site selection and design assessment criteria

17. Site Conditions
Ability to respond to natural and built site characteristics in the development of a program and the design of a project

18. Structural Systems
Understanding of principles of structural behavior in withstanding gravity and lateral forces and the evolution, range, and appropriate application of contemporary structural systems

19. Environmental Systems
Understanding of the basic principles and appropriate application and performance of environmental systems, including acoustical, lighting, and climate modification systems, and energy use, integrated with the building envelope

20. Life Safety
Understanding of the basic principles of life-safety systems with an emphasis on egress

21. Building Envelope Systems
Understanding of the basic principles and appropriate application and performance of building envelope materials and assemblies

22. Building Service Systems
Understanding of the basic principles and appropriate application and performance of plumbing, electrical, vertical transportation, communication, security, and fire protection systems

23. Building Systems Integration
Ability to assess, select, and conceptually integrate structural systems, building envelope systems, environmental systems, life-safety systems, and building service systems into building design

24. Building Materials and Assemblies
Understanding of the basic principles and appropriate application and performance of construction materials, products, components, and assemblies, including their environmental impact and reuse

25. Construction Cost Control
Understanding of the fundamentals of building cost, life-cycle cost, and construction estimating

26. Technical Documentation
Ability to make technically precise drawings and write outline specifications for a proposed design

27. Client Role in Architecture
Understanding of the responsibility of the architect to elicit, understand, and resolve the needs of the client, owner, and user

28. Comprehensive Design
Ability to produce a comprehensive architectural project based on a building program and site that includes development of programmed spaces demonstrating an understanding of structural and environmental systems, building envelope systems, life-safety provisions, wall sections and building assemblies and the
principles of sustainability

Feb 28, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: