Archinect
anchor

Changing Architectural Project Types

Cvett

I am interviewing for Intern Architect positions.  I previously have experience only in residential project types (multifamily and single family residences).  In continuing my career, I would like to work for firms that specialize in a broad variety of project types (health care, institutional, retail, etc).  What are some ways to convince a potential employer to hire me to work on project types that I have no prior experience in?  Suggestions… Thanks

Jul 4, 12 4:48 pm
accesskb

work on an imaginary project and include it in your portfolio if possible.

Jul 4, 12 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

Find the thing that the work you've done and the work you want to do have in common, and emphasize that in your portfolio, resume, cover letter, and interview. That thing becomes your specialty, not the type. For instance, if you've done a lot of residential work and want to also design schools, what do they have in common and how can each benefit from experience working with the other?

Jul 5, 12 12:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: