Archinect
anchor

If I major in civil engineering...?

Kayla54

Will it be easy to switch lanes later on to architecture when I have enough work experience in the construction industry? Is the job opportunity for engineers better than architects? I'm asking this, because if the answer is no, then I might as well major in architecture (something that I really want)

Jul 4, 12 1:47 am
3tk

You'd go back for a master's in architecture (3 years), generally - you could be involved in architectural projects in architecture&engineering offices or the elite engineering firms (ARUP, Buro Happold, etc), but less on the design side.  Architecture firms do appreciate engineering background so the road will be easier.

Currently CivEs are finding it just as difficult at least up in the NE, but generally the job market is more stable in engineering do to the fact that the majority of their work is in sectors that need to be built (roads, airports, sewers, bridges, flood control, etc).

In school they are two completely different pedagogies with different student culture... you could always be insane and go for both degrees or major in one and minor in the other (I followed the latter and got interviews where the other candidates all had Masters degrees...)

Jul 4, 12 9:22 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Sure - the new Dean of Architecture at Cal Poly SLO graduated from Princeton with a civil engineering degree - 

http://www.calpolynews.calpoly.edu/news_releases/2012/June/CAED.html

Jul 4, 12 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
derekmc825

I dont know how she will do as the dean, the former dean tom jones is my 4th studio teacher next quarter lol

Jul 5, 12 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

CE will give yo uall the technicalprowess you will need.  Check out Luis Barragan.  If you are really good at arch, it will come w/o all the years and finacial debt of school. 

Don't bother unless you are already financially independent.

Architecture has been described as the noblest profession, mostly because you have to come from nobility to ever make it.

How does an architect make his first million? Start with 6 million.

Jul 5, 12 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

"How does an architect make his first million? Start with 6 million."

Here is a million dollar architect/developer - 

http://www.jonathansegalarchitect.com/

Jul 5, 12 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
beekay31

You will be vastly overqualified for employment at 99% of architectural firms and will rarely use your engineering education.  Not because it wouldn't come in handy, but that's not the job you will be hired for and you likely will not have the time to even practice it.  The engineering work will go to the engineering consultants while you draw up millwork details.  A much better solution would be to become a professional engineer with an additional architectural design degree.  Your future finances will thank you as well.

Jul 5, 12 8:46 pm  · 
 · 
metal

If you can afford it, use a dual engineering/architecture background to start a practice. Handing work off to consultants is one of the dumbest things this profession does.

Jul 5, 12 9:18 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

sure .. it can certainly give you the advantage if you don't get sucked into the mentality of an engineer and forget how to design like an architect.

Calatrava and Barragan are two people I know who have both an architecture and engineering education.

Jul 5, 12 10:02 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: