Archinect
anchor

L.A. Earthquake Premonition!

Marlin

Native LosAngelinos have this thing we like to think is a sixth sense for earthquakes. Of course, it's psychosomatic and more often than not it ends up turning out to be unfounded, but it's there...
Pearl Girl, my native gal, and I have both been recently having those eerie emotions associated with earthquake sixth sense.

Eathqaukes were more frequent when i was a kid.

If you live in LA or you're from LA, you'll notice we haven't had any eathquakes of any noticeable magnitude lately, i.e. in over a decade. And, we've been having what we like to call "earthquake weather": erratic shifts in temperature and summer-like evening breezes.

again, i admit it's all false science, but please consider removing heavy objects hanging above your bed and removing or securing any glass frames and breakable objects that may fall into the escape path from your bed to the front door. Check the batteries in your flashlight, and sleep in boxers so as to avoid being the bewildered guy amongst his neighbors in the middle of the street awestruck in his skivvies.

I'm just saying...and, really, it's motivated by love for archinectors.

Feb 21, 07 4:27 pm
A Center for Ants?

if we had an earthquake right now, i'd be awesome. i wouldn't have to have my desk crit. arghhhhhh

Feb 21, 07 4:33 pm  · 
 · 

Anything to break up the workday, man.

Feb 21, 07 4:46 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I could afford to move back to LA if all the carpet baggers got scared by the big one!

Feb 21, 07 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

I don't foresee the Big One, treekiller. I foresee the Annoying One.

Feb 21, 07 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
Marlin

(that's the one that breaks everything you own that's uninsured and makes you spend the the next three days cleaning up, namely your bookshelf full of heavy architecture monographs.)

Feb 21, 07 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

fuck... now this..
i would laugh it off, but i feel the same way lately, after being here for most of my life. no joke man. and i know marlin isn't joking. his prediction makes sense.
i have been in couple biggies here. last quake i was in a worst hit area in santa monica (only second to epicenter northridge). it is no joy ride.

Feb 21, 07 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

gotta move my s,m,l,xl to the bottom shelf as soon as i get home...

i lived a mile away from the epicenter of the '94 earthquake and it was loud. we stepped outside and my dad, who was religious, started praying while clutching us...freaked me out. i seriously believed that the rapture was happening. when it woke me up, i looked outside the window to see if the sky was bursting with meteors...

Feb 21, 07 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

i agree nonetheless w/ your prediction. we've def. been having a spell of earthquake weather... we haven't had so much as a good little shake on the westside in the past few months...

Feb 21, 07 10:23 pm  · 
 · 
dia

How are the animals? Birds, cats, dogs are generally good indicators of earthquakes.

We had one in Auckland 2 nights ago - pretty rare for us. It was only 4.5 on the richter scale but located 15km's underground 30km's from the city - Something you guys would laugh at,

Feb 21, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i just want to know when this happens

wake me when frogs fall from the sky, please.

Feb 21, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

I have a bird and a rabbit. My rabbit hid under a chair and stomped his hind legs for hours before the last quake, and my bird plucked out a bunch of his feathers. Animals can definately sense these things. That said, my animals haven't shown any warning behavior, so I don't think another one of any significance is coming anytime soon. By the way if you're curious of seismic occurances in Los Angeles, check out http://quake.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/Los_Angeles.html

Feb 21, 07 11:11 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

if i worked at that salon, I would be selling her hair on ebay right about now

Feb 21, 07 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

Explain why Sinead O'Conner is still alive.

So what do you do during an Earthquake? I moved here from the Midwest. I know how to handle a tornado.

Feb 22, 07 1:35 am  · 
 · 
Marlin

Moratto: me in an eathquake: stand guard in front of the thing i least want to clean up if it falls-like a bookshelf- then run out the door once it seems like it's a biggie.

Remember the earthquake scene from LA Story?

Fogey: Like birds plucking out their feathers, Britney shaving her head seems like a good indicator of the quake to come. good one.

Feb 22, 07 1:46 am  · 
 · 
geimanj

I've been in 3 quakes, only one of which was in CA. I remember we had a weird little one in the suburbs of Chicago in the 80s that was just a wiggle. The second one was when I was visiting friends in High School in LA, and I slept through it. The house I grew up in used to shake all of the time because we lived only a block or two from the main Burlington Northern train line and huge freight trains passing by would make everything around bounce. The last quake was the weirdest- it was in Manhattan, not long after 9/11. I was still on edge after the WTC attack, and one night my apartment building violently shook for a brief instant and there was a really loud banging noise. I thought a truck had hit the building, but then found out the next day that it was a local tremor. Anyway, I hope your premonition proves false.

Feb 22, 07 3:49 am  · 
 · 
WonderK

geimanj, I was in that quake in Manhattan too! Wasn't it strange? It sounded like someone had dropped a large appliance from the roof of our building or something. It was really late at night too.

As long as we're being superstitious, my best friend has lived in LA for almost 3 years and on several occasions when she's come home, there's been a tremor here or there, I think a couple of them were in CA somewhere. Anyway, she's coming home this weekend. Put on your helmets.

Feb 22, 07 9:07 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

Should I be buying oceanfront property in Nevada?

Feb 22, 07 9:33 am  · 
 · 
mdler

Orhan

From looking at those pics all I can say is that it is a damn good thing that there are no shoddy developers or contractors here in LA

Feb 22, 07 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Here comes the rain....

Feb 22, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

she is back in rehab...earthquake warning has been called off

maybe we could set up a Brittney in Rehab threat system...somewhat like the terrorist threat thing that always in changing color

Feb 22, 07 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm still waiting for mt rainier to blow...

Feb 22, 07 12:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

oh shit, Garwondler shaved his/her/his head

Feb 22, 07 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

Oh shit! I came home tonight and there was a pile of feathers under my bird. It's on.

Feb 22, 07 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

Renew your earthquake insurance. Go to Fry's Electronics and photograph a bunch of stuff you wish you could afford and forge receipts. It's the only way we can survive as architects.

Feb 22, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 

i was hiking with my dogs in griffith park a couple years ago. there were a lot of rattle snakes around that day, and coyotes were also walking around the trails, in the middle of the day. i ran in to some guy who said there must be an earthquake coming judging by the way the animals are acting. sure enough there was an earthquake the next day.

speaking of selling britney's hair, that salon is one step ahead of you...

Feb 22, 07 8:36 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh my god now I'm worried about all you guys.

If Britney doesn't die in the upcoming earthquake, she will do herself in by driving (accidentally?) off a cliff in the next week or so anyway. That's my prediction.

Also, as long as we're talking celebrities and you guys are all in celebrity-land anyway, my partner's partner was watching the Anna Nicole Smith courtroom decision today while I was working - so I saw it across the room - what a freak show!

Please be careful everyone.

Feb 22, 07 9:26 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

lovebird are you serious. Were there really feathers. ?

Feb 22, 07 9:27 pm  · 
 · 
lovebird

oh yes! Enough to make a boa from.

Feb 22, 07 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

oh jesus.

Feb 22, 07 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Im selling Garwondler pubes...

Feb 22, 07 11:24 pm  · 
 · 
moratto

Thanks to this discussion, I had some great earthquake nightmares last night. I shouldn't read this thread before I go to bed. I just hope the epicenter is in Beverly Hills. It took me 45min. to get out of that shit town on Wilshire tonight.

Feb 22, 07 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

your mistake is taking wilshire. wilshire has just way too many lights.

Feb 23, 07 12:06 am  · 
 · 
garpike

ACfA, earthquakes unfortunately only stall crits by a minute or two.

Feb 23, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

I am going to design a shrine to Britney's Hair for my senior thesis...can someone please post some go projects for me to look at

Feb 23, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

As I said in another thread,
"I have lived here (LA) my whole life, and people always get premonitions and start talking about "earthquake weather." if you throw enough shit on a wall, some of it is bound to stick.

Feb 23, 07 1:51 pm  · 
 · 

the wind is blowing like mad today... it must be a sign.

Mar 27, 07 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
n_

i'll be there next month to visit my sisters. i hope l.a. doesn't shake me off the ground while i'm driving her old vespa around town.

Mar 27, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

Weird wind and storm conditions happening in downtown today. I think its a tornado premonition...

Mar 27, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

On santa monica blvd, it appears that the trees on one side of the street are blowing the opposite direction than the trees on the other side. That's looking pretty freaky from here.

Mar 27, 07 3:53 pm  · 
 · 

I think it was all because OZO MOTLEY was in town. Yeah what a great concert they put on last night at USC.

Mar 28, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

i just felt a jolt!!!

6:48 pm...los angeles

Apr 21, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i lost some money at the tracks today..if that means anything. granted, it was $1 beer and hotdog day

Apr 21, 07 11:50 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

Whenever the Santa Anas kicked up oddly, bringing that eery warm-air wind where it didn't fit in, I'd get the earthquake jitters. I spent years of my life taking super quick showers in the mornings due to an intense fear of being caught wet and naked by a quake.

Apr 22, 07 9:24 am  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

and just last night i looked up at a shelf in my kitchen and said - gee, mighty you moron, why the *%!$ did you put all of those glass vases up there? i mean, come on dude...it won't even take a big one, just a slightly larger than small one to shake those babies right off.

that's about the dumbest thing i've done in a while...

and with the warm breezes we've had up here in SF Bay area...EQ's are on everyones mind here too.

the freaks come out at night...

May 8, 07 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
archasm

go get some museum putty at home depot. your glass will be just fine.

May 8, 07 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
silverlake

If its not an earthquake its a wildfire...

I was just jogging in silverlake and was under a helluva blanket of smoke.

May 8, 07 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

Apparently these guys aren't too concerned.

I'm worried about the animals at the zoo though!

May 9, 07 10:22 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

DubK, that pic sums up for me the essence of California.*

* Please, Cal 'necters, don't be offended - I love California and have since I spent time there every summer as a child. The place has an endless optimism that I love, and that's mostly what I read in that picture.

May 9, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

she lived in berkely til the earthquake shook her loose
she lives in texas now where nothin ever moves...

May 9, 07 11:52 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: