Archinect
anchor

salary request

sanofiSYN

When applying for arch jobs, how should one respond to salary requests. I'm a recent grad (4 year B.S. Arch degree), and I'm applying to a small design oriented firm in New York City. The position is for a full-time architectural intern. What's a good number for this position? And should I give them an exact number? I don't want to shortchange myself - then again I am only a recent undergrad, and I don't want to state too high a number and have them laughing. . . Any input appreciated. Thanks.

Aug 6, 04 10:25 pm
pencrush

I read a little article on interview negotiations on msn. you can read it here

anyway the relevant info was this...

Don't give the employer an actual figure if you are asked directly about the salary you want. Instead, turn the question around and ask what salary range would be offered in the company for this type of job for someone with similar years of experience, level of expertise and knowledge of the business.

if you feel awkward about turning it back on them, definitely give them a range. I can't speak to a good number in NYC, but i'm sure someone on here should be able to give you an idea.

Aug 7, 04 3:10 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

pencrush is right and i do this everytime i interview, it shows interest in the position and your place in that position.

Aug 7, 04 8:24 am  · 
 · 
Francisco David Boira

sanofiSYN:
The salary poll section has plenty of posts from NYC interns!

Aug 7, 04 9:24 am  · 
 · 
J3

definitely read through the salary poll and see where you fall within the NYC job market. I would have a few questions for you: apart from the 4yr BS, will you be going to Grad school? are your plans to become a registered arch. in the future? (what time frame) do you have any prior experience in an Arch. office?
all these factors + portfolio/design work will help determine a salary range. You could turn the question around on the potential employer, but I have never seen a small firm with a "salary matrix", the interviwer is usually the owner and he will have a realistic number in his/her head for your salary. The salary range for interns at my office is (25-44k yr) although interns are usually paid hourly w/ot +benefits.
I would venture to say NYC pays 10-15% more.

Aug 7, 04 9:42 am  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

J3 -

I do plan on going to grad school after working for about 2-3 years. And yes, I do plan on becoming a registered architect in the future as well. As for prior work experience in architectue, I've only had a spring internship with a large corporate firm. I believe my portfolio is pretty solid. I also am proficient with many graphics programs and 3-D modeling programs, which is what many firms look for out of young interns, I know.

I'm contacting this employer by e-mail for now, so I'd have to answer the salary request via e-mail, without the benefit of speaking with the person in a manner that pencrush had advised. I probably will run through the salary poll and go from there. Thanks to all that answered, and also posting more info is always appreciated.

Aug 7, 04 8:05 pm  · 
 · 
J3

ask for $20/hr + 1.5 ot + benefits

Aug 8, 04 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
sanofiSYN

Hey guys,

So that firm I was applying for offered 30K tops, plus full health. I know I'm fresh out from school, but does that sound about right? Can you even live in NYC off of that?

Aug 16, 04 9:26 am  · 
 · 
futureboy

yeah. that's about right. you can live in ny, just think: peanut butter and jelly for lunch and very cramped apartment...but you're young! enjoy it.

Aug 16, 04 9:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: