Archinect
anchor

Advice on starting my career!!

tcarchitect

I am 23 years old and I am half way through my masters program at Lawrence Tech.  The problem Is I have little to no experience in the field (I am sure this is not all that shocking).  My grades are definitely good 3.5gpa but both the economy and lack of experience is definitely starting to get the best of me (causes me stress and anxiety about going into architecture).  I am currently working on a  facade improvement for a small business, and have some experience in landscape design (landscaped about six houses).  I feel as though the freelance work on my resume is  not even close to enough for me to get my foot in the door at any firm in this market.  I have been managing to stay financially afloat with parents help and substitute teaching.  Any ideas on how I can get some quick experience that might not be labeled freelance or any ways i could improve my qualifications without already having a job in a firm.  Any help at this point would be FABULOUS!!!  

Jun 29, 12 12:14 pm

First get your IDP record started and start logging hours community service, monographs and AIA continuing education seminars. Waiting too long and you miss out on the student discount.

Then go for certifications that are not tied to having a job, LEED is out ,but CSI certifications are a matter of passing an exam, not easy but there are few roadblocks in your way other than money and time, (not a lot of money) This gives you 40 IDP hours for each level of certification earned.  Also architects rarely retire 100% you can direct your freelance work to helping retirees with their few pet projects, think church repairs, house additions for a friend, this also earns IDP if you get the 15 hours a week limit for 8 weeks. Do well and you have a powerful ally in your job search.

You can also gain experience working for construction companies, civil engineering firms, Servepro the guys who clean up after fires or floods have architects on staff in some locations, If you work for a licensed landscape architect you also are getting experience.

Try construction estimating first on a commission basis then hourly if you are good at it, look up small landscape firms or homebuilders to star out with.

Teaching, some community colleges will higher you if you have a masters, some firms may want to employ a former Revit CAD instructor especially if they are converting or upgrading.

The IDP is a fair way to gauge experience and once you get the IDP done and pass the ARE you are in a good position to get work.

IDP just takes so dam long and if you are chipping away at it little by little it can be very frustrating, but IDP experience has no rolling calendar and the earned hours don’t expire.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Jul 1, 12 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

Not sure what your commitment is to the state of Michigan, but I would pursue openings in western Michigan, larger cities like Grand Rapids, but also Traverse City. The quality of life is high, cost of living is low - it may be worth investing 6 months to get a small network established and then see if anything opens up. I have no inside info, other than SE Michigan remains somewhat tight for those with limited experience. Not impossible, but you either have to be really good or know someone who can get you in. Good luck!

Jul 1, 12 9:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: