Archinect
anchor

What to see during a quick trip to San Francisco

lletdownl

Hello fellow 'nectors....

I will be visiting San Fran for the very first time this upcoming week.  It's going to be a quick stop however, as ill only be there for a couple nights.  Can anyone give me some suggestions for must see buildings, must eat-at restaurants, and must drink-at bars?

Jun 26, 12 12:27 pm
zonker

I would just wander - bring your sketch pad - ditch the camera/phone - the best way to discover this city is to follow your intuition - just stay away from pier 39(strip mall by the bay)

Jun 26, 12 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
ovalle

@lietdownl some suggestions have been listed here: http://archinect.com/forum/thread/32514347/architecture-in-san-francisco

also check this for restuarants/bars: http://tiplist.com/united-states/san-francisco-21591/

Jun 26, 12 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

One more thing - watch out for cyclists - they run red lights and they will hit you - I almost got dropped from one of my PAs who was in a hurry to get to his office

Jun 26, 12 2:09 pm  · 
 · 
ogataken

House of Shields. 

Jun 26, 12 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

that herzog-n-demueron copper thingy (and don'tcha dare miss the turrell skyspace on the west side sculpture garden area please don't miss it!)

while you're in the park check out the science center bumpy roof opposite the copper thingy.  the japanese garden is sort of okay but maybe not worth the price of admission.

and the park is next door to h8 ash-burry and you're also close to the golden bridge so you can hit that up ('tis always cold walkin' out there ..)

another day you can hit up the museums close to AT&T park and walk on that crazy bridge in the rossi museum.  over there you're close to the financial district and transamerpyramidal building and then go the chinatown and finish at PIER 39 you gotta go there!  ghiradelli square and fisherman's wharf too omg!

or just walk around aimlessly and you might find some good stuff.

Jun 26, 12 5:49 pm  · 
 · 
TIQM

San Francisco City Hall, by Arthur Brown Jr.

Palace of Fine Arts, Bernard Maybeck

Just spend some time walking some of the lovely neighborhoods there.

Jun 26, 12 6:45 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I would say the tourist-trap Pier 39 is still a very interesting area, even if for pure kitsch value.

Jun 26, 12 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
kubo

Academy of Sciences - Renzo Piano

De Young Museum - Herzog & de Meuron (both the Piano and H&dM buildings are in Golden Gate Park, a great area!)

Federal Building - Thom Mayne

Saint Mary's Cathedral - Pier Luigi Nervi and Belluschi

There is also a small FLW museum building that is near Union Square.

And if you want to get out of the city for a little bit, there is the Marin Civic Center by FLW just north of the Golden Gate Bridge (the one that inspired the design of Naboo in Star Wars Phantom Menace ;)

Jun 26, 12 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
august

Academy of Sciences + De Young is highly advised.

The earthquake show in the planetarium of Academy of Sciences is pretty cool.

Jun 26, 12 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

william stout bookstore - just leave your cc in the car. just do. 

it's hard not to recommend the gg park, just to see the piano and hdm projects. 

i'd skip the morphosis building - it's not exactly tourist friendly, so you'd mostly get to see the street view. 

anything by maybeck's a plus. there's more of his stuff out near berkeley (maybe too long of a drive/train for just a couple days). 

finally, i've got a ballpark thing, so... just checked. they're in town through sunday; out of town all next week. might not win on that one...

Jun 26, 12 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
bob/bob

Shalimar Restaurant- On Jones south of Geary, bad neighborhood, and it doesn't exactly look super hygienic, but the BEST PAKISTANI FOOD EVER, or at least pretty damn close.

Jun 26, 12 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

awesome, thanks everyone and keep it coming...  

greg... im actually visiting my brother who who lives in oakland... so we will be doing the ballpark thing... only, the ballpark will the Colosseum... 

Jun 27, 12 9:50 am  · 
 · 
zonker

"i'd skip the morphosis building - it's not exactly tourist friendly, so you'd mostly get to see the street view. "

I made the mistake of getting too close and the  Federal protection Service goon squad threw me onto the sidewalk  and took my camera.

Jun 27, 12 11:44 am  · 
 · 

The large numbers of homeless begging for money, then insulting you when you ignore them, and the never ending stench of urine is also something you will get to experience in SF.

Jun 27, 12 11:47 am  · 
 · 
zonker

http://www.stoutbooks.com/cgi-bin/stoutbooks.cgi/index.html

I met Steven Holl here when he dropped by last year supporting his Vanke Center book

Jun 27, 12 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Often undermined building, don't miss Yerba Buena Center for the Arts by Fumihiko Maki across from modern art / GAP museum and note the use of super clear glass by Maki. 

Jun 27, 12 12:21 pm  · 
 · 

must admit even though kubo and FRaC mention some of same buildings prefer the later to the former.

also the william stout bookstore is a must i agree... and I particularly enjoyed a trip around Mare Island and Skaggs Island part of San Pablo Bay National Wildlife Refuge, site of an old navy intelligence post when i last visited.

Jun 27, 12 5:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: