Archinect
anchor

2012 Top 250 Design Firms

med.

Looks like Gensler has taken the reighns of #1 and forced AECOM down to second (for the first time since 2006 I believe).

http://archrecord.construction.com/practice/top250/2012/top250-architecture-firms-1.asp

I am a former employee of AECOM and things really started to go downhill fast there after all the mergers and the ugly corporate politics that ensued.  As result they've canned almost a 1000 people since January '11 and lost 250 million in revenue.

Jun 25, 12 4:03 pm
Rusty!

Really interesting if you compare it to 2006 numbers (when Gensler was #1 last)

• Gensler 2011: $764.08M #1
  • Gensler 2006: $500.20 #1

Whoa! They increased their profits by 50% since the peak of the last boom. Good on them!

Let's look at SOM next:

• SOM 2011: $255.00 #10
  • SOM 2006: $251.20 #6

Almost identical profits but but they lost their positioning by quite a few spots. In fact, back in 2006, 12 companies made $100m+. In 2011 21 companies made $100m+. And we are still in supposed recession. 150th place for both years has made $15m. So the big boys are not exactly growing at the expense of others.

So what is going on? The profits are through the roof, yet the employment is abysmal as ever. Has the inflation been that high in the last 5 years? The numbers are very odd.

Jun 25, 12 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Gensler has hired 1200 people and opened up 7 new offices since January 2011.  And they are still hiring in various cities and new offices are being planned.

SOM was hiring a bunch of people last summer and fall but I also recently heard that they had contracted again.

Jun 26, 12 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
lletdownl

In general, employment has stagnated across the country, while corporate profits have actually increased.  You hear about this all the time.  Corporations are taking full advantage of the increases in productivity afforded them by technological advancement, as well as the inherent fear present in pretty much everyone who worked through this recession (gotta work really hard and keep this job... there are no other ones out there).  

Less architects on staff to do the same amount of work for salaries that have stagnated or actually decreased = massive profits.  This is really the plight of all american workers if were honest.  Its incredible for corporations, not so great for people actually trying to earn a living.

Jun 26, 12 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

First of all the rankings are a list of firms by total revenue, not profits. I hope you understand the difference. Probably one more area where our schools failed us.

Second, the article points out that much of the growth is from foreign economies. Want a better job, move to were the work is. Better yet, start your own business and let us know how it goes.

The plight of the american worker is that it's easier to point the finger at someone else rather than look in the mirror.  Employees are just as greedy as their bosses, as their bosses, as their bosses. If we're honest.

Jun 26, 12 3:25 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

Geez, did someone shit in your coffee this morning wurdan?

Yes, the ranking are based on revenues. Profits are whatever the accountant says is the optimal number to disclose (and thus completely irrelevant in discussion of  non-publically traded companies).

Even if all the growth is in the foreign economies, the assumption here is that most of the labor is performed domestically.

But yes, let's all look at the frigging mirror and point. and blame. Personal responsibility herpty-derpty because I overcompensate my inability to understand complex systems with sheer smugness and taking my coffee with shit in it.

Jun 26, 12 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

International is stronger than domestic. Most big firms are hiring. My company added 400+ staff in the last 18 months.

In recessions, big firms and small firms tend to do well. It's the mid-sized firms that are under the most pressure these days. They don't have economies of scale or broad reach, but their overhead is much higher than their smaller, nimbler competitors.

Jun 26, 12 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I dunno about that last statement.  AECOM's Architectural division (also known as PDD) slashed up to 1200 people firmwide since January 2011.

A lot of that is attributed to some MAJOR fuckups in management and accounting along some VERY questionable (at best) appointment during 2009/2010.  I literally saw clients' jaws drop when a person would be introduced as a "Principal" or "Vice President."  It was THAT scary.  They also fired many of the long-time head designers so that some of the more junior level principals could take the helm.

And while they were so busy squabling over petty corporate firms, firms that had been struggling during the recession were bouncing back and gobbling up much of their market sector works.

As many experienced it became quite a shitty place to work too.  Once phrase why:  Annual Christmas-Eve Layoffs!

Jun 27, 12 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

AECOM is a publicly-traded company (LOL). That means it's just biding its time until bureaucratic ossification causes it to seize up and die.

Jun 27, 12 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
Justin Ather Maud

There are only about three firms on this list who will actually have any bearing on DESIGN in, say, a hundred years, so to quantify this list as "design" firms is ludicrous.  A more accurate appraisal would be to state that these firms control the output of CDs  which are being built in this particular year.   

As Truman Capote said of Jack Kerouac, "That's not writing, that's typing."

Big Flockin' YAWN.

Jun 27, 12 8:12 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Justin - yeah because you are just the best designer there is in the entire profession and you know everything about design and every thing about each one of these firms.

Gimme a fucking break.

Jun 28, 12 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
file

JAM: "There are only about three firms on this list who will actually have any bearing on DESIGN in, say, a hundred years, ..."

Once again pointing out -- in spades -- the absolute disconnect between "what the market seeks" and "what some elements of the profession want to deliver"

Jun 28, 12 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
thenewintern

what my company is #2 now....

Jun 28, 12 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
Rusty!

"what my company is #2 now...."

AECOM - where literacy be optional at.

Jun 28, 12 4:08 pm  · 
 · 
med.

I was at AECOM for a while - about 4 years.  It was good at first, but then I hated it.  A lot of ugly ugly corporate politics when all the mergers started - it was a clash of civilizations really.

Boy, I can't even describe to you how diluted some of the people are there.

Jun 29, 12 9:09 am  · 
 · 
thenewintern

actually i intern at one of those merged companies who are now "an AECOM company"

Jun 29, 12 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

where are firms like Morphosis, Gehry etc?

Jun 30, 12 4:31 am  · 
 · 

you call them 'boutiques', accesskb. 

Jun 30, 12 7:34 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

10 billion in architectural design service revenue in total for 2012... not bad to think of it if one can open and run a successful firm.  I must work to get my slice of the pie. ;)

Jul 1, 12 12:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: