Archinect
anchor

should i buy a coil binding machine?

meowmeow

So I know there's tons of threads about portfolio binding, but I was wondering if anyone has ever just went ahead and bought the binding machine and done it themselves? They vary in price, but there are some out there that aren't too expensive. I really want to make my portfolios myself, seeing as it's a lot cheaper and I could probably do a better job than any kinko's near me.

Feb 7, 07 3:36 pm
silverlake

You could do a better job than any kinko's ANYWHERE...

Feb 7, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Chili Davis

This guy works at my Kinko's.

Feb 7, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Don't get spiral binding!! Go to Alphagraphics and get it wire-o bound instead. Spiral is hideous and bulky. Wire-o has all the benefits of spiral binding but it's sleek and nice looking.

Alphagraphics is much more professional then Kinkos in my experience. I had a very custom bind for my portfolio and I explained it to the guy and he nailed it perfectly.

Feb 7, 07 4:00 pm  · 
 · 

I came here intending to say just that, but cpnorris beat me to it. Wire-O all the way!

Feb 7, 07 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

what is that picture? and i'm so glad that guy is wearing a helmet.

Feb 7, 07 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

i thnk that guy was in my freshman design studio.

Feb 7, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

that guy just ATE my PoRtFoLiO!!!!

Feb 7, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
geimanj

on a serious note- to answer your question, i went that route and bought a display-model wire-o WireMac 2:1 pitch binding machine from spiral.com. They shipped it to me and threw in a box of coils, too. I was really glad at the time that I chose to buy, as I could make portfolios at whatever time of day and not worry about having them mangled by kinos/staples nimrods. I'm going to use it to make my own notebooks, sketchbooks, etc. and hope that I can sell some services to fellow future colleagues...

Feb 8, 07 1:05 am  · 
 · 
arri

Geimanj,
Is spiral.com the right web address to buy a binding machine?

Feb 8, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
arri

I just googled wire-o bound and lots of site that sell them came up. I'm buying one.

Feb 8, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
BookWorm

Has anyone of you tried this binding machine? I've read this post and decided to get myself one, but I could still use some advice regarding the device itself.

Thanks all :)

Feb 18, 14 6:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Jebus, is that you?

It's been since 2007 that I have been waiting for your ressssssurection.

Feb 18, 14 7:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: