Archinect
anchor

Bashing former employees

ciao

I am curious as to how employers try to bash employees that have decided to leave a firm. How is the smear campaign distributed? gossipy word of mouth?

Someone mentioned this occurs in Philadelphia. But I'm curious as to how it works out in New York city.

Maybe I am oblivious to something that is typical.

Jun 20, 12 3:58 pm
citizen

Jun 20, 12 9:59 pm  · 
 · 

Not that he actually worked for me, but if he had, I definitely would have made some t-shirts that said "Fuck Frank Gehry" and distributed them after he left.

That's really the only way to bash a former employee, yo!

Jun 21, 12 9:05 am  · 
 · 
ciao

so it usually plays out similar to the way employees talk about employers?

Empoyees have this http://www.honestr.com/ArchleaksUS

Where is the gossip from the employer side of things? its gotta be out there somewhere

Jun 25, 12 12:07 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

ciao: in my experience, employers don't engage in as much gossip about past employees as you might think -- at least, that doesn't happen much here in our neck of the woods (Southern US). I don't recall ever experiencing an employer going out of his/her way to diss a former employee -- especially in a social setting. Truthfully, what's the point ?

At our firm, we're often called by potential employers to provide a reference for one of their candidates. (note: this often happens even if we're not one of the specific references provided by the candidate.) Our response to those inquiries tends to fall into one of two categories: a) if we know (and trust) the caller extremely well, we'll give an honest, but professional, confidential appraisal of the former employee's performance; or b) if we don't really know the caller, we'll confirm employment dates, role and compensation, but not say more, based on the advice of our attorney.

Outside of that process, I don't recall ever discussing a former employee with anybody outside the firm (or hearing another firm discuss one of their former employees) -- and I've been doing this for 40 years.

Jun 25, 12 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

tip: grow up and part in good terms.  Not all employees are out to get you.  Some do realize you leave for better opportunities or self-growth.  Like they say, "Don't stick with a firm for more than three years if you want to keep learning."

Jun 26, 12 3:30 am  · 
 · 

"Don't stick with a firm for more than three years if you want to keep learning."

Seriously?  That's retarded, yo!

Jun 26, 12 9:56 am  · 
 · 
med.

The real suggestion:  Don't stick with a firm that you don't like just because it might make you look bad if you leave.  You have to look after yourself.

Years ago I joined a firm that was based out of one of the major southern cities.  I regretted it after only one week and felt as if I were ready to leave after only 2 months.  I ended up staying for 2 years.  It was the worse two years of my life.

Leaving that firm was the best decision I've ever made and I could give a tuppeny fuck what they said behind my back.

Jun 26, 12 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
****melt

No more then three years, huh? I've been at my firm for almost 6 and am still learning... a lot.  I think it just depends on the firm and/or the individual.

Jun 26, 12 4:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: