Archinect
anchor

NYIT Manhattan Thesis

industrial-landsapedesign

Hello, I am entering thesis at NYIT Manhattan and need some inspiration/ideas. I consider myself to be very good at design, I would consider myself an A- design student. My strengths lie in 2d rendered presentation drawings,construction and materiality, cohesive presentation skills(model,drawings in same style, critics understand and are excited by my project and agree with my verbal presentation,etc...) and I can translate a concept into a design quickly. My weaknesses are Zero knowledge in Revit, and am fairly new at 3ds max(pretty much I am not 100% confident in my photo realistic rendering skills). I would also add that I need to  develop better diagramming skills.

My professor is 86 years old and once worked for Phillip Johnson, he cares little for beautiful presentation drawings,aesthetics and sustainable design. He is practicality/functionality/technicality first. He wants to see near construction level detail in his students work.(not an insult, just an assessment. I have had a teacher just like him in a 2 year program, he also worked for Phillip Johnson.) 

I will most likely design for a site of my choosing in NYC. The programs i'm thinking of currently are a multi-building university or a public housing project. I like to incorporate landscape design into my designs( green roof/wall, stone) as well as industrial material(steel truss, cor-ten steel, etc...).

Recent buildings that inspire me are University of Iowa by Steven Holl Architects

Olympic Sculpture Park by Weiss/Manfredi Architects

Musashino Art University Library by Sou Fuimoto Architects

Kitigata Housing by SANAA Architects

I am told that I come to design conclusions too fast, I usually am done designing 3 weeks or more prior to reviews and spend the rest of my time creating a high quality presentation. This semester I want to choose a site and program that can sustain my interest and keep me interested for 8 months. 

What was/is your thesis for your final year of design? Any advice for creating the appropriate complexity for a Thesis project? Any general advice based on my strengths and weakness listed?

I know this question is long and complex, thank you to anyone who can answer my question.

sample works

Image 1 3d rendering 40 unit housing project in the upper west side manhattan

Image 2 Natatorium/school near  hudson street Manhattan

Jun 18, 12 10:36 am

I really think you need to define exactly what is it that you want to do (not what the building type is, but rather a thesis). What ARCHITECTURAL issues about public housing you want to tackle? Once you define a clear architectural problem, it will help you develop a program that articulates the issues you are tackling.

For example: The need for higher density residential buildings (tall buildings) VS. access to green space for health and recreation (how do you combine both in a way that makes sense economically?) This is just a simple example....

The way you started describing your skills, sounded like you want to apply for a job. Forget about Revit, sexy renderings and all that crap, and focus on defining a clear and well defined thesis statement that is not more than one paragraph. In this paragraph you should not mention the site or the program, it should be a problem that could be applied anywhere in the world. After stating the problem, write down your goals - what is it that you want to get out of this project?

My number one advice to you is to do something you really enjoy, otherwise you will suffer. If you like public housing then do so, but come up with a thesis statement that passes the "so what" test.

Your design should address the issues you defined in the thesis statement. What I see in you rendering is Mies van Der Rohe on steroids. However it has the potential to turn into something interesting. Also the selection of the site is extremely important - the architecture needs to tell the story of the site, it should not be forced on it. 

Don't mean to be harsh here, I just want you to enjoy your last year before getting into this economy.

Jun 19, 12 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

As someone who went through thesis at NYIT manhattan, and was on thesis juries recently I can tell you my biggest beef is with kids who don't put a narrative behind their projects and are emotionally not invested in it.

I can't remember your profs name, which sucks, because he is one of the better critics on offer in thesis.  You can learn an insane amount from him and his reminiscing about the old school never gets old for me.  If you're in his studio, your project should have a very practical focus but the ultimate result of that focus will be to create a building concept that is "whole".  The best thesis projects I've ever seen focused on tangibles; light, air, and materiality are the pallet you have to paint with.  Start with finding a site you love first, then add architecture & program to it that you believe would solve a problem.

And for the love of god DO NOT be one of those people whose done designing halfway through Des VII and then works on her/his presentation until the final at Design VIII.  The most brutal thesis review I was ever privy to was for a student that did exactly what you are guilty of doing.  His presentation was epic, his concept and execution were crap and the jury lit him up.

Jun 19, 12 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I did what you did except in Maya - I got nailed by the jurors - I got lit up - after that, I focused on process - what you have here: is a Steven Holl's Vanke Center type thing - Steven Holl, Rex, and OMA can pull it off - because they have a process - you need to develop  process.

http://www.dezeen.com/2010/03/05/vanke-center-shenzhen-by-steven-holl-architects/

Jun 19, 12 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

The 2 images are from former project :plans, diagrams, renderings,site,etc...These are not thesis design ideas. 

@Dafer Haddadin- Thanks for your post, I have both strong strengths and weaknesses. I agree with you that the process you speak of will be critical to having a good thesis project and enjoying the semester. Narration of process is my most critical skill to develop this year.

@Apurimac-My professors name is Percy Griffin, I am excited for once to have a teacher at NYIT who is very much about practicality.I have a good sense of materiality, light(or so iv'e been told). I am looking up sites to set the stage for my project. I'm the guy who always am finished early has an "epic presentation"(as you put it), but often lack diagrams. This semester I had an epic crit for a Natatorium (image 2),I explained my idea an concept very well, the only slight was in addition to a clear verbal presentation, I should have had more concept diagrams. I admit, I am weak at diagramming and need to develop these skills for my thesis. Thank you, hopefully I will be able to avoid pitfalls based on your advice. BTW when did you graduate from NYIT?

@Xenakis- I would have to say, Steven Holl is one of, if not my favorite architect. I had process for the 2 designs above, although I need to do a better job of diagramming process in both projects. 

Jun 20, 12 1:21 am  · 
 · 

Anyone know how to upload image posting a comment(only works when creating post), or is a URL the only way?

Jun 20, 12 1:27 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: