Archinect
anchor

does anyone know any secret innovative modelling techniques/materials?

Stratty

hey there, i'm a masters student at dalhousie university in halifax, canada... i am (very thankfully) almost finished my last semester of this educational joyride, and need to make the best model in the history of the world for my thesis project. dalhousie a hands-on school where we are taught to use old-school techniques of model building and hand drawing, with little emphasis put on 3-d computer rendering. so, model building competition is fierce. we are always trying to discover new model materials, and often raid junkyards and scrap bins. glycerine, plaster fabric, handcuffs, model trains, and recently liquid latex have made it into my models, but i need to find something incredible for this last model (which will be a theoretical hostel/multi-program building on a very social intersection in halifax).

so if you have ever made a wicked model out of something random (and don't mind sharing your secret) please let me know. I would also love to hear about your favourite modelling techniques or any precedents i can check out. Plus, i know that everyone has coveted photoshop/illustrator tricks that can make model pics layered with drawing look awesome; so if you have any representational techniques you wouldn't mind teaching me, i would be very grateful. if you have a sec and want to see what my previous projects have looked like, you can check out an old website i made for my last work term in amsterdam: http://myweb.dal.ca/slstratt thanks very much, i'm excited to hear about some techniques that can make my project stand out and finally get me out of school!

Feb 3, 07 11:51 am
l8rpeace

For my Design Fundamentals I class (Fall, 2003) I made a study model out of the magnetic disks from inside floppy disks. The assignment was to discover a found object, and create a model from tht object...eventually this was translated into another model (and corresponding drawings). I thought it was neat because floppy disks are outdated (and, I had an extreme abundance of floppies from my technology consulting days). Posted here are the images of the found object, corresponding found object model, and the resultant section (not the translation - that was no fun). I still have a giant ring of the "metal centers" from all the disks left over.

object = disk

unit after transformation

transformation from object to unit (diagram)

model 01

model 02

model 03

model 04

model sections (ink on bristol)

Feb 3, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

nice job l8rpeace.

Feb 3, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
l8rpeace

sorry...I forgot one image - how to get from the unit to the overall model (should fall between the picture of the unit and pictures of the model):

orientation diagram (ink on bristol)

Feb 3, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

That's brilliant, but when question come to general usability ,it is most important that the method allow for real strong items ,huge mass production a choice of various materials and cheap.

What I don't fancy about instant proto typing are the fragile pices and the single piece production , if I want an item that must restand fierce heat , I don't think I would model it for instant prototyping. Also ,if you even intend to profit from CAD and real 3D object edditing , realy want to profit from the promises with digital direct-link production, then 3D-H offer an ocean of possibilities just being a new way to percive structures.

It is fine for me that analog perception ,and hands-on skills are allowed to produce the wonders at reach, but architecture must change, our production and use of materials must change and just that, is best provided with a fresh new view ,new way's to put things together, new eco-friendly materials challancing the costly soecial fittings and Lego thinking, ---------- so when you ask for new production new way's of making things new sorts ogf materials , then there are no better answer than doing it doing a variaty of things, in 3D-H. ----

Feb 3, 07 2:17 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Just one example --- Anything you can process into a sheet material, a flat sheet, can be used for 3D-H.
Then go to the scrapyard and find pieces of flat steel , offcut Aluminium pieces ect. Then place the small pieces distribuated in several layers ontop eachother forming a huge flat piece made from many smaller pieces placed around and ontop eachother -- Rivit that together, weld where you can just with hand tools make it into huge rivited or bolted and welded metal sheets ; now you can use that for building the very foundations for a low house. If you succes to laminate together an advanced sandwich of laminate and reused sheet metal then you can make many other things than just a house.

Now the alternative would have been to look for replacement girders and hangers, for a Lego vise reproduction in materials that was not bought to produce the perfect design.

This can also be done nailing or glueing sheets of offcut plywood together, any material that can produce construction sheet materials will offer what the sheet material itself can offer. And there be no fiddeling or bending .

Feb 3, 07 2:29 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

Use "The Forbidden Method" use 3D-H.

Feb 3, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i used a variety of materials.... 237am.com... entire site deals with material usage......

Feb 3, 07 3:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: