Archinect
anchor

Post-Grad Programs WITH a shelf life?

jeremymm

In response to previous thread about new Sci-Arch post-grad program:

"sounds like yet another post-grad program with no shelf life..."

So what are the post-grad programs out there worth considering?

Feb 2, 07 12:23 pm
postal

do architecture degrees actually have a shelf life? i think the industry relies a lot more on a portfolio of work later in life. (but I guess an Ivy name can be seen as impressive to clients)

Feb 2, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

i think what was being referred to is the tendency of EOM to create overly catchy names for Post-Grad programs that sound very dated within 3 weeks of their announcement (i.e. SCI-FI and FreshUrbs)
basically the concept being that other schools name their programs in a less poppy manner (i.e. Harvard GSD, AA DRL) therefore allowing the program to transform along a trajectory even if the initial starting point falls out of fashion.

Feb 2, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
postal

unless we're talking about the subject matter actually helping you throughout your career...

Feb 2, 07 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
postal

ah see... i'm outta the loop on this thread

Feb 2, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

the next one is SCI-STARC*...this will focus on PR, advertising, marketing, branding and the building will be at the corner of hollywood and highland...

Feb 2, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
monkeyboy

I am attending a graduate program at Stevens Institute of Technology - Product Architecture Lab. It is a 2 year masters of Engineering. It may be a bit long for a Post-grad... but there are some people that are in the program as post grads and some mid-career designers. I was not part of the earlier thread about shelf-life.. but if i understand correctly what you are concerned about, then i may recommend our school. We are fairly young but are actively marking our mark on academia and influencing currently established schools of architecture as well as the methodologies of the firms with whom we collaborate.

If practice is what you seek as a criteria "shelf-life" then our program excels. Our students and graduates are highly sought after by a growing number of firms (and schools, who offer positions).

Nevertheless, our program is still young and may not have the longstanding reputation that other schools have to warrant shelf life (allthough Stevens is a highly respected school of engineering). I guess that still has to be seen. But we have a group of talented students dedicated to guaranteeing the growth of our program.

If you would like to know more info on the program i would be happy to answer any questions.

Feb 2, 07 10:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: