Archinect
anchor

Did you draw that with your left elbow?

Philarch

or perhaps "Did you draw that with your feet?" or "Did your two year old nephew draw that for you?" and the list goes on.

We've all heard it all before in studio or office at some point whether it was your colleague or yourself regarding a sketch or drawing. Some people prefer it because it sometimes (definitely not always) means that the focus was on content/concept and not aesthetics. Conversely, a beautiful drawing or sketch can cover up the fact that there is little or no content.

What is your take on this topic?

Or perhaps you have other humorous ways to criticize sketches?

Feb 1, 07 11:25 am
drums please, Fab?

'nice horsey sketch' when a client starts designing and hands you a sketch of what they want ..

Feb 1, 07 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

a visiting critic to a classmate during a final review, "that has to be the most visually naive drawing i've ever seen."

ouch.

Feb 1, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

There is a moment right as the client begins to "sketch" his or her idea on the back of a found piece of paper that always makes me uneasy. I have to shift into total concentration and use my profound analytical ability to decipher the encrypted sand script being emitted. Then the question I must have heard just short of a billion times comes up, "do you see what I mean?” Of course I nod and smile, pretending to be aware of the importance of another illegible drawing. Then after the meeting I deposit the magnificent doodle in small pile that is growing in the bottom of my waste basket.

As far as drawings done by people that understand the idea of a "sketch", as long as it portrays what the author is trying to convey I believe it is successful. No matter what the level of "beauty"

Feb 1, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
mdler
Feb 1, 07 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

drawn with my left nut

Feb 1, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
spark

professor pointing to a ragged edge on a model - did you chew this?

Feb 1, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
StudioWookie

just flat out - MIGHT AS WELL JUST DROP OUT NOW !!!!

Feb 1, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
LameArc

"well this is just a huge disappointment." ..... yeah, he actually said that.

Feb 1, 07 8:17 pm  · 
 · 
upside

" no coconuts for you"

Feb 1, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

when i was a mean chef and needed to call out my cooks for bad knife skills...

"what did you cut this with? a credit card?"

or when their knives were super dull...

"my dog's nails are sharper than this...go clean the walk-in!"

or when their food was slow, late and sloppy...

"you're fired!"

but i kind of like 'no coconuts for you...'

Feb 1, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
upside

the quickest way to tropical fruit deprevation was unjustified form making:

"why is your appartment building shaped like a nautilus?"

"i like pretty curves"

"no coconut for you!"

Feb 2, 07 12:32 am  · 
 · 

aka the chicken scratches = bad drawings

Apr 27, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
Barrett

"Why is this drawing interesting? Why the hell would I want to stay there? Whats the difference if I just go across the street to the La Quinta Inn?"

Apr 27, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm really hoping for the chicken scratch font to finally arrive...

"but again, i propose the question, why would anyone allow a student to spend an entire year developing a truck stop for a thesis defense?"

-cracked out prof. that liked to sleep with his students, and apparently didn't like that one student wanted to challenge a typology that could use a little change...

Apr 28, 07 1:32 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: