Archinect
anchor

What the *@%$ is an Arch. 7?

BlueSteel

What the hell is a Architect 7?

I've been seeing a number of job posting recently who's descriptions include titles i have never understood:

Architect 7,6,5,4,3,2,1.

Can anyone shed light on what they understand these titles to mean and where they come from? Is this an American thing, AIA thing? Does your office make these divisions and how do they fit into the typical Jobcaptain, Junior architect, Senior Architect, Project Manager set of titles?

Feb 1, 07 10:44 am
JMBarquero/squirrelly

wow blue, that's news to me as well.

I've not worked anywhere where that distinction has been made. Maybe it's something new in '07.

Feb 1, 07 10:54 am  · 
 · 
BlueSteel

here's the latest example
gluttonforpunishment

Feb 1, 07 11:04 am  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Check the jobs link to the left. They are arbitrary titles imposed by a corporate culture that links pay scale to a title which is tied to time in the job. Usually has nothing to do with actual productivity, quality of work, or value of an employee. It is the adaptation of the manufacturing work benefits model for professional compensation. Not that I am biased or anything.
j

Feb 1, 07 11:05 am  · 
 · 
BlueSteel

I know in that example the FOG expains the title, I am only wondering where these titles come from and who else has been confused by them?

Feb 1, 07 11:09 am  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

right here.....and whilst joshcookie has done a great job at explaining it, it still confusing, as we might not know what they could be referring to, exactly if not a salary scale.

Feb 1, 07 11:10 am  · 
 · 
treekiller
salary.com

search for 'architect'

also from the US gov't

Feb 1, 07 11:47 am  · 
 · 
mdler

i am an architect 9"

Feb 1, 07 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

"This one goes up to 11!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akaD9v460yI
j

Feb 1, 07 2:55 pm  · 
 · 
BlueSteel

Joshcookie, you're a genius!

and thanks to the killer of trees for the salary.com link

Feb 1, 07 3:29 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

I tried using salary.com as a basis for my current pay deal. in comparison to the two offers I got, their numbers are on the high side or their levels of experience is incompatable with the real world.

Feb 1, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

i read it as meaning they had that many positions open and used the numbering system to keep them straight, particularly since they put the position title next to it.

but perhaps that's too simple and more should be read in to it.

Feb 1, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
AP
They are arbitrary titles imposed by a corporate culture that links pay scale to a title which is tied to time in the job. Usually has nothing to do with actual productivity, quality of work, or value of an employee.

wow. are you inside my mind?

Feb 1, 07 9:53 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if you don't know what you are then you are an architect 0...

Feb 2, 07 12:26 am  · 
 · 
Devil Dog

treekiller, turn your phrase around. . . maybe architecture underpays?

i've seen that scale reference skill level and responsibility. it's usually used in larger, more corporate offices where they have to manage many people at multiple levels.

Feb 2, 07 9:15 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: