Archinect
anchor

MY FIRSTJOB!!!!!!!.......well "volunteer work"

MyDream

As of 6/16/2012  i will be participating in all achitectural drafting projects for the habitat for humanty. I have been volunteering for the habitat for humanty since i've been on summer break in between spring and fall 2012. Are current project is here in deltona fl. The manager gave me a position using archicad in the design of the homes and i will be involved with the permit process as well as working with the architect stamp wise(maybe to change some things on the drawing) the architect is also an engineer ( like santiago calatrava ;)...) i paint,do landscape work and construction work also. I plan on learning a lot here before i go try that first job position with an architecture firm. So wish me luck for tuesday when i officially start.

I need to start taking pictures of these projects for a draftsman oriented pdf portfolio and for the post. http://new.swvhabitat.org/curbuild   we are at the gaia's residence ...sorry no pics as of now of the current project.

Jun 16, 12 2:19 pm
LITS4FormZ

You should start a blog.

Jun 16, 12 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I saw one from greg it had a picture of indiana jones and it had something to do with employment. Honestly i don't know how to start one, there was a miss who was taking pictures while i was working (laying sod and painting) but can't find them on the website. 

Jun 16, 12 9:14 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

You can do one right on archinect, blogs about positive first starts are always a nice read. 

Jun 16, 12 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

looking forward to seeing your blog - working in drafting and construction at the same time is a great opportunity.

Jun 18, 12 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
Quentin

People keeep telling me I should sign up for HH to get my feet wet, since I can't find an arch job. I online registered but never went.

Jun 18, 12 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Unfortunately  George who is the construction supervisor wasn't ready for me today. I am told to return on Friday to start using archicad, i saw some module for how many roms in the houses they build etc and looked around his office that was about it :(. Archicad is alot different than autodesk (Autodesk is what im use to 2 years ive been using) and i picked up on some stuff by registering on myarchicad.com and using thier free software for students, give them your unofficial transcrips and you have a one year subscription.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0cEDbioHDI&feature=plcphas taught me some stuff through some turtorials 1-8 to at least to get me started

Quentin i volunteer every saturday since being on my summer break and that is how i met george. i suggest you do the same in your area i would not let your education go to watse i plan on starting valencia/ucf/uf's program for my architecture education in Fall 2013 while working . but if i had a B.arch and could'nt find a job HH is a life saver they will make you sign a http://new.swvhabitat.org/sites/default/files/tmp/phpuploads/Waiver%20of%20liability.pdf  after you do that just find the place where construction is and just start talking ( I am going to do as much work as i can you should too)  you will find someone who could use someone of your cailber.

I dont want to start a blog until i can get a camera to take some pictures unfortunately :(.

I also downloaded a version of google sketch up it is soo HARD VERY TRICKY i m still practicing tho if anyone has sketchup experience HELP!!  (aray is so much easier in autocad)

Jun 19, 12 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
Pixar

Sketch Up- Always work with "groups" and "components", it makes things easier!

Jun 19, 12 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Making things into components is not that hard copying them is another story (using the ctrl key? y not just right click copy as needed?) The rotate command is just exhausting :(

Jun 19, 12 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

I mean aray command.... sorry

Jun 19, 12 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
Pixar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk6ok7S8goA

Here's how the array command works. 

Jun 19, 12 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

8>O why did'nt i think of that

Jun 19, 12 5:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: