Archinect
anchor

holy shit! Gehry is 83 yrs old... and I thought I was getting old

accesskb

yes, I'm 30, felt old for Masters and was having doubts on whether I should go for it.  Well... If I ever practice architecture until 83+, I don't feel old spending another 3 yrs in school anymore :)

Jun 16, 12 2:16 am
Rusty!

Quote of the week from someone at my office: "You know you are getting old when you start seeing some of your first projects you worked on get demolished"

Jun 16, 12 4:00 am  · 
 · 

well, that's happened to me and i'm not THAT old....

Jun 16, 12 7:37 am  · 
 · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

Guess how old Niemeyer is..

Jun 16, 12 8:19 am  · 
 · 

Shit, 30 is a baby in architect years.  In fact, most architects don't really start working until about the time that most of their non-architects peers are retiring.

Project demolitions are hardly a measure of "old" anymore.  Stadiums, for example, only seem to have about 20 year life cycle anymore in the US.  And those "beautiful strip malls" are even more disposable.

No, man, you know that you're getting old when you can't trust a fart anymore.

Yo!

Jun 16, 12 11:58 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

Niemeyer is 104.. wow! i doubt he still practices and most of us probably won't get that old xD  It would be amazing though.

Jun 16, 12 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

He did the Serpentine 8 years ago, well I 've heard that his niece is running the studio now.

Jun 18, 12 12:25 am  · 
 · 
zonker

Maybe I have a chance after all - I changed career to architecture at 54 - got hired by SOM ??  - Oh well - then got laid off 16 months later when the bottom fell out. most people are telling me to give it up. There is as lot of age discrimination in arch. - that's just the way it is now.

Jun 18, 12 2:06 am  · 
 · 

Wow Xenakis that's cool that you switched careers so late.  Reminds me that 45 (me) isn't too late to change tracks.  

Jun 18, 12 8:08 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

good to hear Xenakis!  Its never too late to go back for school or switch careers I think as long as you're passionate about whatever you're doing. :)

Jun 19, 12 3:32 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

I think you guys need to read Xenakis' whole post or something..

I think it's generally true...although usually at 54 most have their own practice since hiring such experienced people is difficult for most firms.

Jun 19, 12 3:55 am  · 
 · 
zonker

lardlarson

1.It's 1099  no health insurance due to cost

2. Culture  it's mainly 20 and 30 somethings - they don't want someone from their parents generation on the team - what you don't have an ipad or ride a fixie to work

3. Even though I have an equivalent skill set with Revit - you just have to do be twice as good to get noticed - and even then I am just a "tool" 

Tool or Fool?

I like the work and am glad I made the switch - but the price I pay is very high

working in SF is probably not a good idea - any color but grey here - 

I will just have to tough it out  and get famous just to survive - surrender is not an option

Donna

I think we just need to do what it takes and not give in - giving in, fuels discrimination

Repubs want me to retire and die - no way

Jun 19, 12 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

2. Culture  it's mainly 20 and 30 somethings - they don't want someone from their parents generation on the team - what you don't have an ipad or ride a fixie to work

who the hell commutes in a hilly city on a fixie?  I'll bet they're the same morons who ride without handbrakes.  they deserve the darwin award.

Jun 19, 12 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

they do and when going down hill - watch out

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/san_francisco&id=8700349

Jun 19, 12 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

"1.It's 1099  no health insurance due to cost

2. Culture  it's mainly 20 and 30 somethings - they don't want someone from their parents generation on the team - what you don't have an ipad or ride a fixie to work

3. Even though I have an equivalent skill set with Revit - you just have to do be twice as good to get noticed - and even then I am just a "tool" "

Xenakis,

I was agreeing with you..don't know if you intentionally misspelled my name or not.  I am 38.  I felt the first scare of agism or whatever the last time I looked for a job.  If I didn't have the contacts I have I'd still be looking most likely.  Most listings for jobs are for 1-3 or 5 years or so of experience..there aren't many looking for someone who has 16..or at least not often.  I've been very lucky to stay employed in the industry for all of those years more or less.

I recognize the problem with starting out at your age..and appreciate your commitment to it.  I see kids coming out of school that I simply can't keep up with (and don't really want to) on programs like rhino or photoshop or whatever...which makes me wonder if I'll be a relic the next time I look for a job...but I've always enjoyed detailing and building more than working in that realm.  Anyway..keep trying and learning... I didn't mean to be down on you.. just that your comment of

"Oh well - then got laid off 16 months later when the bottom fell out. most people are telling me to give it up. There is as lot of age discrimination in arch. - that's just the way it is now."

seemed to be a bit deflating after your initial thoughts..hope everything works out though.

Jun 20, 12 11:21 am  · 
 · 
zonker

larslarson

only 38? When I was your age...

the key to being fast - is using keyboard shortcuts learning the latest software upgrades such as Revit 13.55,  and developing high hand coordination from playing video games - also lots of running, lots of sleep - Homeopathic HGH works wonders that and Ginko

Jun 20, 12 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

The key is being cheap - the young recent graduates aren't so attractive because they're hip to lots of recent softwarez, they're attractive because they can work for pennies on the dollars.  Thankfully, the ridiculously inflating cost of education (and the crippling loans the kids are enduring to pay for it) is forcing many recent grads out of the architecture game altogether.  Can't pay back $100K at $10/hour.

Desperation, yo!

Jun 20, 12 12:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: