Archinect
anchor

2007 M.Arch Applicants, Post your portfolios here!

chingale

thanks archinectors, it feels really good to be learning how important it is to get comfortable with just putting it out there. It's been a fun process. Looking forward to learning where everyone lands...

Jan 31, 07 11:46 pm  · 
 · 
Pocket Mies

Any feedback would be appreciated...

http://bacweb.the-bac.edu/~david.eccleston/de-portfolio.pdf

Feb 1, 07 12:02 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

well, here goes...

right click and save target if you would rather download

best viewed in facing page mode with first page as cover.

non-architectural background (b.s. in business management); current job is project management consulting; applied to march 1 programs at ucla and sciarc.

good luck everyone, hopefully we're all back here in 3 months with good news.

Feb 1, 07 12:36 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

people will always ask me which schools i think i will get into but with architecture, i honestly don't know how i measure up relative to other applicants. also, i feel like depending on pedagogy, i could be at the top, middle or bottom of the pile. i had pretty much finished my portfolio before i discoverd the wonderful resource that archinect but even now, seeing other peoples' portfolio is extremely helpful.

right now my portfolio is over 200mb so i don't think anyone wants to spend 30 min dl it but i hope to post it once decisions come out. if anything to bring some more transparency to the admissions process at different schools. and if get rejected from every school, i may still post it, if only to serve as an example of what not to do!

jasoncross, i am so envious you just went boarding. we haven't had a decent, let alone respectable, snow base on the east coast in years. although, i guess there's maine...if you're into downhill iceskating.

cpnorris, i loved your portfolio. exquisite design, layout, composition etc. for your fractal project, i was very curious to know the intermediate processes used to get from fractals to the final form. you kind of discuss it, but very broadly. or like on pg 11 it's clear you did investigations and diagrams but it's not clear how they influenced your project. i'm sure i was even more ambiguous in my portfolio but my curiosity stems from my interest in your project, so it's a good thing!

Feb 1, 07 12:43 am  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

baboomba, i'm also very jealous of your mech eng skills. how i would love to be able to model and explore fluid dynamics! damn finance education is so useless. i hate it when people ask me investment questions. or worse stuff about mortgages and credit cards. i'm like, uhhh...i didn't learn that stuff but i can help you hedge derivatives. it's like asking a lawyer what to do about the parking ticket you got last week.

Feb 1, 07 12:46 am  · 
 · 
chingale

brocco - dig the CD covers. I like the care that you took in photographing your work and the shaping of the 1st bookcase. Its really helpful seeing how non-arch/art folks are effectively showing their work using clean layouts. good luck!

Feb 1, 07 1:09 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

baboomba - i really like the diversity of work. your house looks like it was a fun project to work on and you seem to enjoy it. it's a very nice layout and an impressive resume.

chingale - nice woodworking skills and that foot is a nice sculpture. nice diversity of work. those photographs look like they are right of a magazine. good work!

pocket mies - super good layout and your work is excellent. some of your renderings have the context buildings rendered white and they look almost plastic. i like that. what program are you using? also you seem to have a pretty strong miesian influence. where did you go to undergrad?

broccolijet - very clean layout. your projects are presented very well with good descriptions. that deconvergence project is sick! very architectural. i like your bookcase too. you definitely have a nice craft in building models and a good understanding of how things go together.

Nice work everyone and best of luck!

Feb 1, 07 2:04 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Froccli - i actually lost some of my work in the crazyness of studio, so I never had a chance to document the transition from fractal to final product. However, the design of that project never really stopped and continued to change and tweak as I built the final model.

I'll try to explain my approach though it was a few years ago so forgive me if my explanation sucks. The fractal by itself doesn't really define anything spatially, but it certainly suggests a lot of different possibilities. What I tried to do was use it as a frame work and find a form within it. You can see the "tower" shape pretty clearly within the fractal itself. The computer generation stopped with the fractal i showed in the portfolio and from then on I began defining planes and shapes to create something more formal. I tried to stay true to the frame work as much as possible but ultimately had to tweak it a little here and there to get it to work effectively with the program I had defined. Hope that explains some of it. If you have any more questions about it I'd love to answer them, it actually helps me understand my process a bit more as well.

Feb 1, 07 2:32 am  · 
 · 

very nice portfolio Living in Gin, simple, organized, understood, very well illustrated and it has the professional look. i give u 9/10

Feb 1, 07 3:10 am  · 
 · 

jason i love ur work, very artistic

Feb 1, 07 3:14 am  · 
 · 

broccolijet, very artistic too, i love the q-tips, the cerulean cd is very powerful ... my cover is orange black too, the furniture design is elegant, i like the book case, smooth and functionable. Nice work, i'll post mine very soon

Feb 1, 07 3:28 am  · 
 · 

here is mine,
http://moataz.faissal.googlepages.com/Portofolio_LowRes_Slide.pdf

waiting for ur comments guys, (and pardon the low resolution, couldnt upload the high res version)

Feb 1, 07 3:34 am  · 
 · 

oh by the way am applying to Chalmers university of technology, ghotenburg, sweden & Politecnico di milano, Italy.

Feb 1, 07 3:38 am  · 
 · 
Pocket Mies

cpnorris - thanks, for the input and kind words. I went to the BAC when it was still the Boston Architectural Center. Most of the stuff in the portfolio was modeled in autocad with a couple of exceptions (rhino and sketchup). Everything was rendered in 3DS max with some output to piranesi.

BTW -- sweet models also I like the fact that your layout stays out of the way of the material being presented, but you can do that w/strong work…maybe we’ll run into each at Harvard (the only program w/both applied to).

Feb 1, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
tempdrive

broccoli, did you do the bookshelves on a cnc router or by hand?

they look good.

Feb 1, 07 11:20 am  · 
 · 
broccolijet

thanks for the kind words everyone. temp, the bookshelves were done with jigsaw, handheld circular saw, and biscuit joiner.

i'm dying to write some words on everyone's portfolios, but i'm getting killed at work. more to come...

Feb 1, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

broccolijet did you read stan allen's earth moves? he makes a smiliar looking bookshelf.

Feb 1, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
therpeuticlotion

i'm so sorry. it's called "earth moves: the furnishings of territories" by bernard cache.

Feb 1, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

i own earth moves, but i got it after building the shelves and haven't had a chance to read it yet. i've heard nothing but good things about cache and this book in particular, so i'm curious to see his approach.

Feb 1, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

GUYS !! any comments ????

Feb 4, 07 3:25 am  · 
 · 
chingale

ciao meeez,

I tried but couldn't open your portfolio. I have a fast internet connection but I kept getting an error message. Perhaps other are having trouble too. It was very easy to post pdfs to esnips.com

you may want to try that....

cheers,

Feb 4, 07 3:40 am  · 
 · 

LiG, just took a look at your portfolio and I was amazed at your church of the resurrection it is very Fay Jones, and as someone who's designed a few churches you have that warmth of the familiar in the project yet being rich in its distinction

wish you lunch. What happens if you get into all the schools - which one do you pick?

Feb 4, 07 3:55 am  · 
 · 

i cant post the file right now to espnips.com, but i tried to fix it at google pages. sorry guys !

http://moataz.faissal.googlepages.com/Portofolio_LowRes_Slide.pdf

Feb 4, 07 3:58 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

architechnophilia: Thanks for the kind words. I'm a huge fan of Fay Jones, and the director of the graduate program at Cornell seemed impressed by the church project as well.

If I get into all the schools I applied to (ha!), I think it would then come down to which one gives me the best financial package. But all else being equal, Cornell would be my #1 choice.

Feb 4, 07 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
boing

meeez -

well, that's just shit.

kidding, of course. where are you applying?

Feb 4, 07 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
robust84

Come on post more!!

Feb 6, 07 8:46 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

robust84 - You started this thread. Where is yours?

Feb 6, 07 9:08 am  · 
 · 
robust84

im deciding whether or not i have the guts to post it, while i take the time to crush it down to a downloadable file size, find somewhere to host the pdf, and x out my name and all my critics names...

Feb 6, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

esnips.com is pretty easy to upload to

Feb 6, 07 10:36 am  · 
 · 
bucku

what programme do i need to create a pdf? i can save my photoshop files as individual pdfs, but how do i put them all together?

Feb 6, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
bucku

its probably something simple, i'm a dunce. sorry

Feb 6, 07 10:39 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

hmmm....well i'm not sure about how to do it with photoshop. i think most people used Abobe InDesign cause its made for making books/magazines and the like. Photoshops not the best tool for doing page layouts and text. There might be a way to do it but I don't know what it is.

Feb 6, 07 11:13 am  · 
 · 
bucku

i have in design also. i just need to put all of my photoshop docs into in design and export as a pdf.
good enough.

Feb 6, 07 11:21 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

Acrobat Distiller will group individual pdf files into a single pdf file.

Feb 6, 07 11:34 am  · 
 · 
baboomba

cpnorris has a good point robust84. No guts, no glory. I posted my portfolio for a brief period and it even has a microsoft clip art lawnmower in it.

Feb 6, 07 11:44 am  · 
 · 
Chch

bucku - if you don't have adobe distiller installed, you can also just go to export>export to pdf (in indesign)

Feb 6, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

this might be a little late...
but here we go.

my graduate portfolio

quite a large file so it may take a few minutes!
but lets not be too harsh....
good luck everyone!!

Feb 19, 07 6:28 am  · 
 · 
natnatG

I think ill keep it online for maybe 2 days...

Feb 19, 07 6:40 am  · 
 · 
sparch

maybe you should make pdf that's not 175mb!!!

Feb 19, 07 10:49 am  · 
 · 
robust84

it looked good though

Feb 19, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

can someone tell me how i can reduce it?!?!?

Feb 19, 07 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
natnatG

ill just post it again when I find out how to do that...
sorry people.

Feb 19, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
chupacabra

when exporting the pdf choose web under the general pdf export formats...that is the easiest way.

Feb 19, 07 2:26 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

Ring the bell...
School's back in.

STOP. HAMMERTIME!

Feb 19, 07 2:49 pm  · 
 · 
ClemsonDnB
portfolio
Feb 20, 07 11:59 am  · 
 · 
OutsideDream86
http://www.esnips.com/web/outsidedream86-Portfolio

It's a bunch of jpgs because my computer hates pdf files. It's a bunch of crappy jpgs because it was taking too long to upload. The real thing looks much nicer.

I have a BS in Psychology, going for a M.Arch I. Hence the lack of architecturyness.

Feb 21, 07 1:08 am  · 
 · 
mctwist657

outside-

those drawings are amazing...i am way impressed. i thought they were photos at first. nice work....where are you applying?

Feb 21, 07 9:49 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Original was full bleed based on golden ratio; distiller added border.

BBA in Marketing applying for M.Arch with no architectural background.

Interning for a great architect as I wait...

http://www.esnips.com/doc/dbff658a-111b-42f6-8785-44dc1596282e/PortfolioDist

Feb 21, 07 10:56 pm  · 
 · 
cj w.

amazing work guys! very impressive all of you!

i have a quick question on portfolios -

firstly, i saw some portfolios with images that bleed on the pages. do you guys plan to print these as hardcopy or are you showing them only as softcopy? because if you are goin to print them, can ordinary printers print with bleeding images? or should you engage the services of an offset printing press? i think the latter might be too expensive?

secondly, for the images, is it possible to edit, enhance images for your portfolio whihc were used by your office (presuming its professional work) for presentation of your portfolio? i mean, e.g. your office worked on a project and used mostly sketchup, now you want to include it in your portfolio but you thought of enhancing it further, say, render it in viz. is that "honest" enough as a representation of your work?

Feb 21, 07 10:57 pm  · 
 · 
NoSleep

Yes, you have to use prof. assistance for the full bleed print, but this can be very inexpensive, $2/page.

I believe you have to acknowledge the original designers/artists of the rendering and discuss your additions/contributions to the project to be considered "honest".

Feb 21, 07 11:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: