Archinect
anchor

Stay Go

dilemar

I've recently been offered to work at a firm 'A' in a larger city.
The thing is, the firm I'm currently working for 'B' have been in a partnership with 'A' on a three year project. I myself have been working on this project for over two years. I would very much like to jump over to the other side of the fence. 'A' is based in a larger city, and I believe there's more opportunity for me to flourish my career.
I'm just concerned about the relationship between these two firms. Because if I do leave 'B', I would be leaving it to join 'A'.

Do you think there is a moral/ethical issue in switching jobs between two firms in a partnership? Of course I wont be working on the same project.

How can I make a smooth transition without offending 'B'?

Jan 28, 07 5:35 pm

There is a possibility of it creating some bad blood, but I have to assume that firm 'A' has considered this and decided to make you the offer anyway.

When they ask why you're leaving, focus on the desire to move to the city, not the negatives surrounding your current job. I'd also mention that you're glad you still get to work with them on (project x).

Jan 31, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I agree. In this case, it makes the most sense to divert all attention to yourself and your goals. Make it about the city and opportunity.

Jan 31, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
JMBarquero/squirrelly

Isn't it always just about you anyway? I mean it is truly about you and your career path, thus, what rationalist and garpike are saying is the essential truth. It is about you and your wishes to be in a better environment (the city) with more opportunities (the city) and what it has to offer (the city). Of course, you will inevitably get all those things at the new office too, but it's not necessary to mention them.

Jan 31, 07 1:02 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Ooops. I mean divert their attention to your goals. Yes, it is always about you otherwise.

Jan 31, 07 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
cln1

- how long have you been with 'b'?
- is the AB partnership continuous, or just for one project?

not that either of those should matter - at the end of the day, even if you do create some animosity, your happiness should be what matters.

the best you can do is handle yourself professionally and ask yourself... are you living the life that you want to live, or the life that firm 'b' wants you to live?

are you willing to put your life on hold for firm 'b'?

you will know the answer

Jan 31, 07 1:48 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: