Archinect
anchor

Want to be my IDP mentor (in New York)?

on my way

Are there any registered archinecters in NYC who might be interested in being my IDP mentor?

I've been working in architecture for nearly three years, but am just starting the IDP documentation paperwork now.

I work for a small firm and have done some cool projects, but my boss/supervisor is quite young and I wouldn't really consider him a mentor...

Jan 27, 07 1:27 am
some person

Let Archinect be your informal mentor!

(Sorry, I don't live in NYC and I'm not registered, but I can offer some moral support on the IDP process, if you'd like...)

There are probably other (more eloquent) posts about IDP, but the process is still fresh in my mind, so here's my two cents:

1. Backtrack every minute of the past three years. Get it documented. If you need to go back to a former employer, it may be the best to schedule a short meeting with him/her to sign your forms. I've heard horror stories of people mailing forms to former employers that get lost or overlooked.

2. Once you have submitted your forms to IDP, create an online login and check back in 30 days (the time they claim it takes to update your record). If you see no change in the timeline the provide, email them or give them a call. Once you get someone on the line, as for their email address and direct phone number. Contact them again if you get no results. (I've personally visited NCARB, and the people are generally helpful in person.)

3. In the past three years, have you gotten exposure to all of the IDP categories? What categories are you still missing? Post them here, and we can advise on how to gain the specific experience.

4. If your boss is registered in NY and your firm practices architecture in NY, he can sign both lines on your IDP forms (check with IDP, I think this is still the case.)

5. IDP is a tedious task, and I think it serves to weed-out those who are not serious about becoming registered. Be patient and diligent - you will not regret it.

As for finding a professional mentor? That's a different story, in my mind. I think some people are often scared-away by the thought of a regimented, scheduled commitment to actively mentor someone. (Although there are other people who are thrilled with this kind of proposition)

You can find informal mentorship qualities in almost everyone you meet who you admire. Ask them questions, find out what is important to them. (Who doesn't like talking about themselves, right? or providing advice?)

Because the younger generation moves around much more than the previous generation, the idea of a single mentor for your entire career may be a thing of the past. (I'm interested to know what others on this forum think about this statement.)

Good luck!

Jan 27, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
on my way

I've only worked for one employer in architecture, all my time is documented, and my boss/supervisor is registered. I could configure my time to satisfy all of the IDP categories and he'd probably sign off on it.

The problem I have is that while I have enough hours in all the IDP categories, they're within in a limited range of building type. For example, I've done full CD sets on my own for something like 30 projects, but they're all commercial or residential renovations with budgets between $100k-$400k.

In terms of the paperwork I could probably get away with the experience I have to satisfy the IDP... but I don't feel like I've actually gotten the breadth of experience that would qualify me to take the ARE.

Perhaps what I actually need is a new job, rather than a mentor...

Jan 27, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
some person

It's commendable for you to view IDP as a vehicle to gain all of the necessary experience to take the ARE - this is probably the attitude that NCARB wants you to have.

Realistically, however, NCARB/IDP is somewhat bureaucratic (as others on this forum are quick to point out), and it could take you a while to file all of the forms and get approvals. So, why not take care of the administrative side while you can? That will give you freedom to take the ARE when you feel comfortable and ready.

You might surprise yourself with the amount of knowledge you actually possess that will assist you in passing the ARE. The sooner you can begin to take the exams, the better - in my opinion.

You're right about the mentor. It may be helpful for to seek someone who can lead you to the right place to gain the experience you think you lack. However, a mentor probably will not (or cannot) instill all of the information in your brain that you need for the ARE.

Jan 27, 07 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
on my way

DCA - thank you for the help/feedback/information...

One more question for you:

Do I have to submit any other documentation of my work to NCARB other than Form 123?

Do I ever have to show my IDP workbook to anyone other than my supervisor?

Jan 28, 07 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

all you've got to do is what they ask of you.
as for mentorship opportunities here in new york, you should contact ric bell at the aiany and see if the emerging architect's group will be doing their mentorship program again this year. i know that they did it 2 years ago and people had good things to say about it. it also allowed you to have a fairly well known young architect as your mentor, which seemed like a great way for people to get some good connections. i know quite a few ended up going to jobs with the people after the experience. i just checked the website on this and it appears they also did it last year, so get in touch with the people here.

beyond idp

Jan 29, 07 10:38 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: