Archinect
anchor

portfolio questions

Archilearner

this is my first attempt at making a porfolio..and I have some basic questions to ask....

In Photoshop, I think we can't have a set of connected files like PDF ...so....Do I have to make an individual PDS file for each page of the profolio?
Is it the same thing in InDesign? or Can we make like a series of pages?
which program work better for the profolio? InDesign or Photoshop?

I have many Mylar drawings...which area should I put more empahasis on: hand-drawings..like Mylar or CAD drawings?

Thanks in advance!!!

Jan 25, 07 11:32 pm
broccolijet

Best to use the tools as they were originally intended...InDesign for the layout and Photoshop for image editing.

Jan 25, 07 11:48 pm  · 
 · 
swisscardlite

How about Illustrator instead of InDesign? what are the advantages of both programs?

Jan 26, 07 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

InDesign is just much better for laying out books. The interface is designed for making publications. You see all the pages layed out which is very important for designing an overall composition, seeing the flow of the document etc. Pages can be easily reordered. You can make master pages so recuring elements show up on every page, set up margins for left and right pages, show gutters and bleeds very easily. You can link the images, so it's super easy to edit your work in PS or AI, then simply update the links without replacing the actual image. Text tends to be cleaner and it's very easy to set up character styels. As a result you can change every text block in your document with one click. Awesome. So make all of your graphics in other programs, then just drop them in, lay them out. I don't understand the resistance to InDesign, but a lot of my classmates are very reluctant to use it, but it's great for putting together documents and very intuitive if you are familiar with other Adobe products. Photoshop is probably the worst to do layout. Text tends to look bad unless the images are made at very high res.

Jan 26, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 

dat is right.

lots of my friends are graphic designers and wonder why i always do my work in in-design, but for architects doing multi-page spreads there is nothing better. illustrator only lets you do one page at a time, and on my machine at least it is somwhow quite heavy...

if you are going to make vector art illustrator is amazing, but for text and pic layout ID is the best!

Jan 26, 07 3:21 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

illustrator only lets you do one page at a time

not true. make your document the size of multiple pages....like 8 1/2 x 11 for 4 pages that would be a 17 x 22 inch document...then in the print dialogue turn on page tilling...then you have a multi-page document in illustrator.

Although, I personally would rather use InDesign.

Jan 26, 07 5:40 am  · 
 · 

well yeah ther is that work around, but why bother? file sizes become very big just for privilege of working in illustrator...sometime makes sense, but not too often. i am of course biased, cuz i love in-design and only use illustrator for graphics and when working for print...;-)

Jan 26, 07 7:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: