Archinect
anchor

Memoirs of an architect

Philarct

hey guys,
What are some of the coolest most awesome moments in
your architecual career? Have you ever completed a project
and hear some stranger say "wow thats a wonderful building"?

Jan 25, 07 6:30 pm
brian buchalski

meeting bill murray in the ladies room, wrigley field, 1997. he offered to buy me a hot dog.

Jan 25, 07 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

Funny that

a couple who are big supporters of the arts/architecture and who own a house on the island came back a few xmas' ago (snow birds). I had recently completed the community college, and as we sat for dinner they lamented on this lovely new building they had heard about and finally seen for themselves, and were greatly impressed. As the evening wore down, and we were on to our 3rd bottle of wine the hosts whispered that the building was mine. I couldn't speak as I was still rosy cheeked with the comment.

Jan 25, 07 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

man i will always treasure the memory of kicking bill murrays ass in that hotdog eating contest in the ladies room at wrigley field in 1969. hey hey holy mackeral!!!

Jan 26, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
post-neorealcrapismist

Meeting Bill Bradski at a Bill Murray eating contest at Wrigley feild MC'd by Harry Carry in 1987. Mini Ditka won by 7. man was that wierd.
"If you were a hot dog would you eat yourself? heck, i would. I'd be soooo delicious!"

Jan 26, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

what was amazing was the post bill murray eating contest where we all saddled up and played an inspired game of afghan polo using bill murray's head. good times

Jan 26, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 

1980. i was in new york attending to a small meeting of the minds at the time, i think it was in new school for social research or something like architectural leauge. attendees included phillip johnson, john hejduk, peter eisenman and few other people that i forgat their identities since. i was a poor student with my friend, we were there for the booze and the food.
at one point pj turned to the panel and said,
"listen kids..."
that was too funny. we put some meatballs wrapped in bacon in our pockets and stole one of the wine bottles on our way out, before the event ended.

~~~

also in 1980,
in another time, i witnessed bob stern telling eric moss,
"let me tell you about post modernism, young man"...

~~~

i know a tape recording of frank gehry exists in daniel buren's possession, where he angrily says,
"i'll never design a museum again", after losing out to arata isozaki the design of moca in los angeles. (since then, gehry has became one of the premier museum architects in the world).

hot dogs? you bet.

Jan 26, 07 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
Ledoux's Eye

I have been doing this now for 29 years. I have been involved in projects that won design awards and, without a doubt, there is a lot of satisfaction involved with that. I have had clients tell me personally how happy they were with their buildings. Yes, that is probably why many, if not most of us, get into this business.

However, I have to say that my absolute most rewarding incident was doing a very small addition for my parents. They wanted to add on to their house and, like most clients, sketched out what they thought they wanted. Over a couple of months, I convinced them that the addition was not what they really needed, and that what would work best for them was a very limited addition (pushing one room out about 5') and adding a large custom window with window seat. This window looks out into a beautiful yard/garden that they have cultivated over 40 years and looks toward the edge of a forest where they often see deer and other animals. They ultimately listened to me and built the simple addition/window. It is now THE feature of their house; is commented on by nearly everyone that visits; is the favorite place in the house for everyone, including my kids when we visit; and...they never fail to mention how happy they are that I did it the way I did it for them and that it enhances their enjoyment of their home nearly every day. No design award will ever replace that. They are happy. I am happy.

Jan 26, 07 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

that is very sweet man.
i measure the success of design through stories like that. i have similar memoirs too, but yours is very nice.

Jan 26, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

hopefully ill be able to do something like
that when i get in the business

Jan 26, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i did an addition for my parents. when they got back from vacation they were so pissed!!!

Jan 26, 07 6:29 pm  · 
 · 

Family is always the hardest to please. I'm doing my sister's house - no questions asked (aka for free), and her 7yo daughter is playing project manager. Not the best scenario. But what do you do?

Jan 26, 07 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

right now? was when i did a quick 8 hour remodel design for a friend that was a piece of architecture so he could compare it to the "design" done by his sister who has a drafting degree but thinks she's a designer (and that there is no need for architects). needless to say, for lack of balls he's going with the arts & crafts style she gave him but admits he now sees the difference and the reason we have architects...i love this profession, some times it feels so good to prove you're right w/out having to say a word

Jan 27, 07 7:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: