Archinect
anchor

Anybody here familiar with or work for resort design firm?

supersupao

I'm new to the field and about to embark on an m.arch
I was just wondering if there is a good market (domestic or intl) for resort and hotel design and wanted to hear first hand from anyone here who has had the experience.
Is this a tough niche to get into? Are there any particular ups or downs? Is there enough demand for resorts worldwide to made this a category in its own?

Jan 25, 07 4:34 pm
whistler

My office tends to work mostly on resort related work due to our location. We don't do resorts around the world but focus on a more regional market, and tackle a variety of project types and scales in resort related contexts.

We don't do big fancy hotels as I know I can't tolerate the bean counter types that develop those kind of projects, Ours tend to be niche projects, its the appropriate scale for our small office.

Jan 25, 07 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

i would probably go be an imagineer for disney. they have their own architecture office i believe. however i am sure there is a "skull and bones" type initiation.

Jan 25, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
nonarchitect

Yes, there is greater demand for resort work, especially in more and more exotic locations all over the world...

Jan 29, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
tempdrive

Hopefully in the path of your m.arch you will learn that becoming an architect, (and maybe a designer), doesn't pertain to specific building types but more on how to think. Solving problems related to the built environment in a creative and intelligent manner. And this should apply to any building typology. If in your professional practice later you decide you want to focus on hotels, so be it, but don't go into architecture school to try and become a hotel architect, that's just silly.

Jan 29, 07 10:32 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

disney is evil I say, shear evil!!!!!

Jan 29, 07 10:48 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: