Archinect
anchor

Physics and Calculus?

Philarct

hey everyone,
im a newbie to architecture although ive always been
interested in it. Right now im going to community college
studying Auto CAD and drafting classes. after my two years
there i plan to go to a four year college to study architecture.
The requirements to get an actual architectual degree
are Calculus and Physics. I like the subjects but there arent
my strong points. How much of those subjects do you actually
use in architecture? Does it matter what kind of architecture it is?

Phil

Jan 25, 07 3:30 pm
Ms Beary

Can you take those courses at the comm. college and have them transfer? That might be the way to do it.

Personally, I used to be not half bad at math. Took calculus in high school. Took physics in college and tutored some fellow architecture students. Alwasy got good grades. However, since being in practice my math skills practically disappeared - I don't really use anything besides what I call MathCad, my conversion factors on my calculator (square feet to acres) and MAYBE basic trig.

Jan 25, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

Well my curiculum right now doesnt allow me to take physics
right now, maybe ill take it during the summer or
something.And have those courses transfer to the
the college i plan to goto. Its good to hear (in my opinion)
that ur math skills disappeared, if im not the greatest at it
i really dont want to do it for the erst of my life.
thanks Strawbeary

Jan 25, 07 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

make sure the credits will transfer before signing up for the classes.

by the way, my B Arch only required college level trig and basic physics (221 and 222). Nothing advanced. i've heard some arch degrees DO require the calculus though.

Jan 25, 07 4:10 pm  · 
 · 
myriam

ha, at my undergrad all the architects were required to take physics--but for some reason they wouldn't let us take the regular, non-science-track general physics (the one the humanities majors, etcetera had to take)--no, no, no, we architects were the only arts major required to take the SCIENCE-degree track physics class. It was like 30 of us in a huge lecture hall filled with literally physics and computer science majors. We averaged something like a low-C. The department accepted D's as "passing" grades for that class only, it was so ridiculously beyond our level. I'm pretty sure most of us barely grasped the concepts, let alone had time to be really diligent about the massive amounts of homework.

I can honestly tell you that not once have I had to use anything remotely related to that class in my architecture career so far. Magnetism and electron vectors? Puh-leeze.

We did, however, have to take three semesters of applied physics, in the form of statics and structures--and that was invaluable. We learned how beams behave, etcetera--priceless for an architect, believe me. The math level of those courses is more or less based on intuitive geometry and lots of trigonometry, however. You need to have a basic conceptual understanding of how forces behave, and you need to understand the math of triangles, more or less. (That's the best way I can describe it.) Of physics, you need to understand that for every "action" force, there's an equal and opposite "reaction" force; you need to understand tension and compression, eccentric forces, lateral forces, torsion, those kinds of things.

Jan 25, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

we had to take "Physics for Architects", which was the science-major physics that Myriam took, minus most of the motion and all of the nuclear. No math classes though, certainly not calculus. You won't use them at all, so no worries. I use "MathCAD" a lot too, when I don't feel like doing actual geometry and trig.

Jan 25, 07 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

thanx guys
now im pretty ill be an architect soon

Jan 25, 07 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

take business classes

Jan 25, 07 6:04 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

business classes huh? Lots of busness in the
world of an architect?

Jan 25, 07 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: