Archinect
anchor

hand drawing vs. digital for job portfolios

OU812

what are peoples thoughts on hand drawings in portfolios? not just concept sketches/renderings, but hard line constructed drawings. any thoughts?

Jan 25, 07 11:57 am
AbrahamNR

Mines all hand drawings. Looks great for school work, but you won't get a job with it (hand drafting that is, sketching is used in the real world).

Jan 25, 07 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Mix it up! I find the ability to draw well by hand and sketching to be very valuable. I see too many recent grads that are unable to visualize by sketching and have to use the computer as a crutch.

Being able to sketch is invaluable in client meetings and adds to the architect's mystique. I've been in situations with clients that are unable to comprehend space from 2D drawings, so I'd have to draw a quick axon or iso for them to "get it". It's doubly impressive when I draw it upside down for them to see it from their seat across the table!

Jan 25, 07 3:10 pm  · 
 · 
Philarct

round of applause for the upside down sketch. i think
sketching by hand is most valuable. I guess those that
have trouble do the sketch by hand dont have that "third eye"
for laying out an idea or quick sketch

Jan 25, 07 6:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: