Archinect
anchor

seattle home show

holz.box

so the seattle aia is prepping a booth for the seattle home show.
now as much as i can't stand home shows and conventions, several of my friends assumed this would be a great opportunity for hands on learning for the younger set.

people were emailed, suggestions made, but no response (typical for the aia?)

is it just me, or would this have been a great chance to let some young architect(s) (via a competition) have the chance to design the booth - working through real constraints - and come up with something of value?

ugh, if you've been following the viaduct/tunnel/surface debate, you know this is the city of poor planning and shortsightedness. hoorah.

Jan 25, 07 3:34 am

sort of a self-perpetuating problem: your questioning of the aia (...typical...?) illustrates a lot of young architect-types' attitudes toward the aia. so if you sent your announcement out under the aia imprimatur, they probably didn't take it seriously.

the aia definitely has an image problem among young architects right now, and it's unfortunate. a lot of the architectural community in louisville that i know now, i know because of the involvement of young architects/interns 10 yrs ago.

Jan 25, 07 7:23 am  · 
 · 

also...i ran a small competition here once. it takes more than one test-the-waters email to make something happen. we're all so busy that an email is just so much 'noise' to juggle with phone calls, project team, paperwork, music, etc. you'd going to have to use a sort of phone tree/networking thing if you want to get some action: call people you know who might be interested, have them call people they know,....

Jan 25, 07 7:38 am  · 
 · 
future hope

Try getting involved with the Seattle YAF (Young Architects Forum). They have done activities much like the one you describe, and are involved with the AIA. They designed the new AIA office space. There is a YAF yahoo email group as well.

http://aiaseattle.org/committee_yaf.htm

Jan 26, 07 12:08 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

The Seattle Home Show is disgusting - it's totally catered towards the Bellevue-Redmond-Eastsider sprawl McMansions.

Don't waste your time - go check out the new sculpture park instead! Supposed to be nice (not raining) weather this weekend...

Jan 26, 07 11:49 am  · 
 · 
holz.box

i know the show is tasteless, that wasn't the point, though. we just thought it could have been an opportunity to celebrate the architecture "yutes" here in seattle.

and the sculpture park is great, i was there last saturday. even with all the corporate sponsorship, it was great to see so many people enjoying (gasp) a park along the waterfront.

but hey, drivers like the view from the viadukt, so we're probably gonna keep it. yay shortsightedness!

Jan 26, 07 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

Seriously dude, don't waste your time. Patrons of the Seattle Home show aren't interested in architecture, much less young architects and are only interested in those vibrating chairs for their media rooms and the $10K Wolf Range that they only use to boil water for Mac N Cheese...

Jan 26, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: