Archinect
anchor

Carpenter Center, Harvard.. help!

dedubs

Doing a precedent study on the Capenter Center for the Visual Arts at Harvard University.. I searched far and wide and ended up with hardly anything, some barely legible sketches and blurry photos. Are there any kind archinecters out there with some good help? Looking for anything, from plans/sections/eleveations and diagrams, to photos of outside and inside.

Thanks!

Jan 24, 07 11:27 pm
holz.box

why do you need drawings/photos of the carpenter center if you are doing a precedent study? do you mean a case study?

if you have a few grand, there is always the "digital corb" collection

there are also a few books...

Le Corbusier at Work: The Genesis of the Carpenter Center for the Visual Arts

Carpenter Center, unité d'habitation, Firminy, and other buildings and projects, 1961-1963

also, check the complete works, probably on reserve @ said library.
or, a flickr/google search for carpenter center.

Jan 25, 07 2:34 am  · 
 · 
switters

yeah, finding images of corb's work can be really difficult.

Jan 25, 07 5:53 am  · 
 · 

check out geoffrey baker's books on the analysis of form. (one is called 'the analysis of form' but then there are a few others.) pretty sure the carpenter center is well-documented in one of them.

Jan 25, 07 7:33 am  · 
 · 
j-turn

A good place to start would be .... the library.

Jan 25, 07 11:42 am  · 
 · 
dedubs

Far and wide kind of means i went the the library, as well. But nothing turned up. It's not that I am incapable of researching, I was just wondering if this lovely community would be able to help me farther than the library or google.

Jan 25, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
peacock

contact the bac.....boston architectural center. They have the construction drawings on file.

Jan 25, 07 12:50 pm  · 
 · 
futureboy

wow, kent state's library doesn't even have corb's ouvre complet? that amazing. i thought every architectural school's library in the world would own that if nothing else.

Jan 25, 07 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
MUUM79

if the kent state library doesn't have than try ohiolink (ask the librarian for more info if your not familiar with it), which connects to all of the ohio university libraries, so have one delivered to you from another school's library.

Jan 25, 07 2:50 pm  · 
 · 
MUUM79

also try looking through periodical and journal indexes, to see if articles have been written about it.

Jan 25, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

frank lloyd mike....might do a digital walk thru for you.....if you pay him of course.

Jan 25, 07 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
Katze

If you still can't find the information you are looking for, I'd suggest contacting HU – might take a few phone calls / indirect leads to get to the right person but I am certain this would lead you to someone that could help you obtain the information you need.

Jan 25, 07 9:45 pm  · 
 · 
outed

one place that would be kind of obscure, but is a great analysis of the building is an article that john hejduk wrote about it some 40 years ago. you can find the magazine article doing either an avery search (or you may have to actually use a card catalog). in either case, i know i've got a copy somewhere in my files. email me offline and i'll see if i can dig it up...

if you're looking for more contemporary photos - why not contact the center itself and see if they can help? also, contact the loeb library at harvard's design school - they have all kinds of info on the building.

Jan 25, 07 10:55 pm  · 
 · 
outed

cripes, what am i saying? have you done a google search? there's pages of stuff out there...

in 10 seconds, i've figured out that the building is in GA 37 (the old school publications, which almost every architectural library in the world has somewhere), with a guest editorial by kenneth frampton no less. what more can you ask for? there's going to be some solid drawings, decent photos, and good analysis....

Jan 25, 07 11:01 pm  · 
 · 
hckybg

le corbusier at work by william curtis and eduard sekler is the definitive work on the building. if it isnt at your library you can usually find a used copy online. it contains any sketches, plans and photos you would need. after it was completed in 1963 most major architectural journals, including architectural review, casabella, p/a etc ran articles about the building. hejduk's article is reprinted in his book _mask of medusa_ which is hard to find but most architectural libraries have a copy. the original drawings (plans, elevations, etc) are in the harvard university archives, NOT the gsd archives, and are not digitized. they are fragile and packed away though accessible if you visit. the gsd archive contains some sketches related to the buidling. the draftsman on the project was julian de la fuente and le messurier was the project engineer. sert's firm was the associate architect. balthazar korab took good pictures of the building after it opened.

Jan 25, 07 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
dedubs

You guys are amazing/confirmed my incompetencey in correctly using a library. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Jan 26, 07 2:07 am  · 
 · 
dedubs

ugh. so the gsd loeb library has some pretty nice plans and sections that can only be viewed full size by students/those with authority. hmm..

Jan 26, 07 2:14 am  · 
 · 

I'm trying to find a copy of the Hejduk article - does anyone know the title specifically?

the library here has Mask of Medussa, but it's checked out......

Oct 11, 08 12:28 pm  · 
 · 

... I'm also doing research on the building, and a little frustrated that the Ouevre drawings don't have a graphic scale......

Oct 11, 08 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Hejduk: "Out of Time and into Space"
also in A+U 75:05

Oct 11, 08 1:26 pm  · 
 · 
Emilio

Yes, absolutely Le Corbusier at Work, one of the best studies on the development of a building design there is, with lots of insight into Corbu's method of working and his relationship with clients.

Oct 11, 08 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
kylemiller

i have a 3d model of the carpenter center i made a few years ago, interested?

Oct 11, 08 8:16 pm  · 
 · 
MLYS

Yes !! I'm Interested of you 3D. Can you send it to me ?

Feb 27, 13 8:49 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: