Archinect
anchor

Olympic Plans Unveiled

evilplatypus

Below is the summary and slide show of the Chicago Olympic proposal. Not very Breathtaking, however functionally, it would be the most compact games in history.

chicago plan

Anyone have the LA plan proposal?

Jan 23, 07 7:35 pm
mdler

the Olympics are a waste of $$$

Jan 23, 07 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

so are most buildings, mdler, but if no one built anything, how'd we get by?

Jan 23, 07 7:46 pm  · 
 · 

I was struck by how they are very clear that they are proposing a $366,000,000 temporary stadium. That seems like a damned waste to me. I even kind of like how the stadium looks- why not find a use for it instead of ripping it down afterwards?

Jan 23, 07 7:47 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

go to Barcelona..the Olympic stadiums from 1992 are ruins...surrounded in barbed wire fences and deserted

Jan 23, 07 7:54 pm  · 
 · 

...whereas in Los Angeles the old olympic stadium is used all the time.

Jan 23, 07 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
Cameron

Tokyo is really pushing their bid for the second time since WWII. They are really pushing the energy conservation aspect and I think stand a good chance. I would go to the Olympics in Japan but not in Chicago.

Just saying.

Jan 23, 07 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
upside

yep, tearing it down might be more economical in the long run.

sydney gets filled a couple of times a year for the rugby but thats about it

Jan 23, 07 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
mauOne™

dope

Jan 23, 07 10:41 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

the BCN olympics revived the entire coastline. It also made the lower end of la rambla a significantly safer place while increasing international recognition. It's strange that you would use those games as an example of the olympics being a waste of money. After living there for 4 months I would say that the olympics were more than worth the investment for Barcelona.

Jan 23, 07 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
archtopus

Chicago's looks like a great plan, but I'm ready to see the attention and benefits of hosting the Olympics go to an African, South or Central American city, assuming it's done sustainabily. The world could benefit from broader cultural perspectives, as trite as that sounds.

Jan 23, 07 11:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: