Archinect
anchor

Drawing resources

Monolith

I'd be very grateful of any URL's anyone would care to point me towards in a bid to furthering my sketching ability. I have an old Ching book called Architectural Graphics but just wondered if there's perhaps a beastly site I might be unaware of. I was made redundant last week and hence can't afford to go out and buy any books just at the minute.

Jan 23, 07 2:17 pm
xtbl

dude, no website's gonna help you sketch better. just buy a good little sketchbook, something you're comfortable with, and a good pen. sketch every day. sketch stuff you see. sketch stuff you think. just sketch.

Jan 23, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

I thought so. Try as I might, without any guidance I don't seem to be making much progress beyond my current level. But thanks for your thoughts Cris.

Jan 23, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

practice sketching in scale also...

Jan 23, 07 2:31 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

mono.....go to the library, Check out "Design Drawing" By Kirby Lockard. Read it from front to back structure your drawings as he does in the book and you will find great improvement in your sketching ability in no time at all. Most of the time people can't
sketch cause they are thinking about it all wrong. You most likely
are trying to incoporate to many things into your sketch in an out of order sequence. So you have a hard time improving the quality of your sketches. You have to devise a system, which represents a clear method of projecting what you are seeing onto paper.

His is the fool proof method.

Jan 23, 07 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
jealous of the world

Practice drawing straight lines vertical and horizontal over and over again...had a drawing instuctor who made us do this for days and it actually helped a ton.
also made us trace hunreds of perpectives to get our hands to 'memorize' and learn to draw. Then you remember when your not tracing.
like Cris said just sketch.

Jan 23, 07 2:34 pm  · 
 · 

i've heard some mixed things about him, but mostly positive comments about mike lin's rendering workshops... i haven't been to one myself... his website is be loose

i think that he also has some books...

Jan 23, 07 2:42 pm  · 
 · 
Monolith

Thanks guys. In between your posts I've been sketching loosely with a range of different pencils and I think I've miraculously improved just by sitting down for an hour and sketching some of the structures from within the images section of Archinect. And thanks for the book recommendations all.

Jan 23, 07 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

Draw configurations, patterns, constellations and systems, not just things you can see. Drawing is more than imitating vision.

Jan 23, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: