Archinect
anchor

Architect for the King County Admin. Building in Seattle?

DJ7910

I'm trying to find out who was the architect on this building. Any Seattle locals know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_County_Administration_Building

Any info would be great.

Thanks.

Jan 22, 07 7:39 pm
snooker

Musta, been an engineer....

Jan 22, 07 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

hmm. i've never really thought about it. most people seem to think it's a blight, and it earned worst gov't building honors. however, it's actually quite interesting and i think it's a project herzog + de meuron could readily identify with.

that being said, i have no idea who the architect is, i looked around for a bit today to no avail. possibly Yamasaki?

Jan 22, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

that or john graham + co.

Jan 22, 07 11:34 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, i like it.

Jan 23, 07 7:14 am  · 
 · 
Jr.

According to A Guide to Architecture in Washington State (1980), it is Harmon, Pray and Dietrich, in 1971. Here's the blurb from the book:

"A bewildering image for county government, the building overpowers its neighbors in this architectural zoo that comprises Seattle's civic center. On the whole, these few blocks of public buildings reveal both the increasing gigantism of governmental bureaucracy and the failure to utilize the urban design process to humanize it all."

Jan 23, 07 9:59 am  · 
 · 
DJ7910

snjr and everyone else,

Thanks for the info and comments.

It is an odd building, but so is the Seattle library by RK. Both buildings use a similar technique of an exo-skeleton to hold the exterior shape. The KCAB just does it a 1960-70's fashion. The Norman Foster Hearst building uses the similar caging structure.

The building floor plates are supported only by the inner core and the outer skin. The floor themselves are 3 or so inch slabs over metal decking and steel support beams running to the outside making the interior free of columns.

Should a building such as this make it to a historical or some other preservation classification? How many others like it exist? At what age should a building cease to exist, economic life, trend/fashion, usefulness, political?

Thanks again.

Jan 23, 07 11:53 am  · 
 · 

as is usual with modern buildings, i think the argument that renovation would be prohibitively expensive (in either the wiki article or one of its bibliographic articles) is a willful and intentional overstatement.

i think this could be renovated into a pretty nifty new facility. that said, i expect that, based on the article and the general tone of most comments, if anyone takes it on as a mission, this building will be easy to argue into demolition. too bad.

Jan 23, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
DJ7910

A quick internet search-

Roland G. Pray

http://www.docomomo-wewa.org/architects_detail.php?id=51

http://www.dahp.wa.gov/pages/HistoricSites/documents/Nifty50List.pdf

Nothing on the two partners. They seem to have had a decent practice going in to the mid 60's.

Jan 23, 07 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: