Archinect
anchor

switching to MAC from PC, your thoughts??

Living in Gin

I won't be buying anything until I at least know where I'll be going for grad school, since some schools have specific computer requirements and/or special pricing available. (Although I'm a student at DePaul, so I already get the same student pricing from Apple as I would from any of the grad schools I'm applying to.)

That said, it would be nice to have a laptop computer ASAP so that I can schoolwork at the coffee shop instead of being tethered to my home PC.

Regarding the third partition, if I set that up as a swap space, it would be nice to also make it a shared folder so that my home PC can access it via my wireless network.

My iTunes library alone is about 30GB... I remember when I thought it would be impossible for me to ever fill up the 250MB hard drive on my first computer.

Jan 25, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I think you'll find that 32GB is the maximum file size for a FAT32 partition, not the maximum size of the partition itself.

Installing an OS update is ridiculously easy.

Jan 25, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

actually it IS the partition size not the individual file size that's an issue for FAT, check out the bootcamp set-up guide:

bootcamp

Only NTFS (in windows) allows partitions larger than 32GB, but OSX can not read NTFS

Jan 25, 07 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

I see. My bad. Although technically, that is a limitation of Windows, not FAT32.

Jan 25, 07 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

I just perused through the Boot Camp Setup Guide from the Apple website and came across this steaming pile of crap:

"Important: You must use a single-disc, full-install Windows XP CD that includes Service Pack 2. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows XP, and you cannot install an earlier version of Windows XP and update it later to SP2. Do not use Windows XP Professional x64 Edition."

This is fucking lame.

Jan 25, 07 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
grahambarron

You can create a full-install WinXP disc with SP2 out of an older WinXP disc by slipstreaming SP2 into it. SP2 is available from the Microsoft site. Read this site for instructions:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

I did this and it worked fine.

Graham

Jan 25, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
broccolijet

cool, thanks graham!

Jan 25, 07 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

I am running Parallels Desktop on my Intel-based MacBook Pro and I have to tell you, it's completely surreal. I've got two screens, and in the monitor, Windows XP starts up in the Parallels window, and the little Microsoft song plays, all while I'm doing something else in my main Mac screen. When I make it go Full Screen, I freak out a little because I really feel as if I am starting to see the future of computing, and it makes so much sense.

If only politics could be so harmonious! But I digress....

Anyway, I am doing the trial version to see if I can install and use CAD on Windows this way without too much hassle. They are just little freelance projects, and I need to be able to change files and send them off quickly and change them as needed. I have no intention of installing the internet on the Windows screen, that would be opening myself up to problems. I will report back to you on the results of my little experiment in a few weeks.

Jan 25, 07 10:59 pm  · 
 · 

don't do it

trust what you have

but listen to your gut

Jan 25, 07 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

i took the plunge last night (had to wait for my copy of XP to arrive) and I must say that it was really easy to set-up. It seems to be just like a regular XP system, only I can use my apple keyboard and mighty mouse (though the numeric keyboard doesn't seem to work right now)

I know people that have installed XP64 and have had no problems with it--I think Apple is just covering their asses saying that you shouldn't use it (though I think even MS warns about using XP64, so it's probably not the best idea).

Remember: this is still a beta product, so you're taking a risk by installing and running it, though I haven't heard of anyone having troubles…

Jan 26, 07 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Boot Camp is still in beta now as well, but it will be incorporated into the next release of Mac OS.

Jan 26, 07 10:20 am  · 
 · 
not_here

screw the mac! i'm the anti-anti-cool.

gosh guys.
reverse cult anyone?

Jan 26, 07 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

mac's not about cool. if you have a mac cause you think its cool then you are completely missing the point.

Jan 26, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
travo

Great info everyone But how does the Intel Processor work with Acad. None of this, macs are cool and pc's suck shit either. How does it work compared to a good to great Pc set up. Is it slower, does it crash more often? Sure as shit, the macs look better, they always will. But performance my friends that is the question which separate truth from fiction. Has anyone done a side to side test of acad, rhino, photshop etc.?
Thanks for the input

Jan 26, 07 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
jjh

i have a mac pro with dual 2.66 duo's with 250gig hard drive and 2 gigs of RAM . i have 50 gigs partitioned to Mac OS and 200 gigs partitioned to XP. i have an external hard drive that i have all my work on. i only boot in XP and have had no issues with running AutoCAD 2007, Form Z 5.5, CS2, Office 2007. i replaced a ProStar 17" laptop with a P4 3.06, 60 gig hard drive with 1 gig of ram. in AutoCAD i really don't notice a difference in performance - no 3d in AutoCAD. Rendering in Form Z is like night and day. granted the extra processors (form Z does use all four processors) and more ram contribute to this. i was able to get this computer for less than a comparable dell model - $4k with a 20" cinema display. i will buy another one - no regrets.

Jan 26, 07 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

I did a render test yesterday using maxwell and the speedtest file from the forum.

here are the results (each render was set for sample level 16 at low priority):

dual 2.67GHz dual-core mac pro, 2GB ram

OSX
time: 00:46:05
benchmark: 142.52

XP32 (bootcamp)
time: 00:39:44
benchmark: 166.44

the XP side is a tad faster, not sure why (maxwell is UB for OSX) hopefully there will be a speed increase once the 64bit version is released. Though to put it in perspective, my previous machine (Alienware Area51m laptop @2.67GHz (single core) 1GBram) took almost 7 hours to render the same file--needless to say I'm quite happy with the speed on both sides compared to what I had to deal with only a few weeks ago.

Jan 28, 07 12:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: