Archinect
anchor

is sustainability a cliche at schools(and in business) or they really give importance to it?

Serkan Ennac

is sustainability a cliche at schools(and in business) or they really give importance to it?

Jan 22, 07 4:55 am

no i dont think so ... it depends on how deep u know methods of green architecture and sustainable buildings, more important it depends on the education and the culture of the client as u need to convince him/her to take the green approach while designing their buildings. Overall i think it is important and not just a cliche.

Jan 22, 07 5:15 am  · 
 · 
brown666

Morphosis won the phare tower in paris mainly because of sustainability issues, so it's defenetiley something to consider, or at least in europe it is more and more

Jan 22, 07 8:35 am  · 
 · 
Client

sometimes 'sustainable' and 'green design' are only kinds of buzz words that people throw around and attach different meaning or degree of relevence to each term.

it's probably the most important idea integrated into architecture since steel

Jan 22, 07 9:57 am  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I don't think so either. Meeez is right, we're doing a LEED pilot home and the only way we could do it is because the client is willing to put his money behind it. There are a lot of design issues that we have to be educated on, and thankfully we (I) have received that education in school. But it's a shame that to be really "green", you have to shell out a lot of green.

Jan 22, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
WonderK

In schools it's important, but not important enough yet, for whatever reason. Just look at how many schools offer programs or focuses in sustainability - not many.

In business, people like to talk about it a lot, and they love to pay lip service to it, but when it comes down to, no one is willing to put their money on it.

Jan 22, 07 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
Ravi

This is a question I ask myself sometimes.
I recently graduated in Architecture in Brazil and had this as a concern during school, and I noticed that it´s not much part of the Architectural culture there yet.
Very few architects have this subject as a concern, and even fewer clients.
I intend to go to US to work and study, and I wonder what I'll really find there in matter of sustainability.

Jan 23, 07 8:38 am  · 
 · 

you'll find some architects that have fought for sustainable construction and given up after having hit brick walls everywhere they turn. you'll find some fighting for it still, simply because they're stubborn. you'll find some that are just now beginning to be interested but will soon tire of the fight. and you'll find a very few who are finding a market for their efforts.

on the client side, you'll find very few who are interested in sustainability for its own sake, but some who are interested because it's a good marketing position. others because its a cool trend for the short term. there's certainly a buzz about sustainability, but the commitment-levels are pretty shallow.

in general, sustainability is something that many architects in the u.s. believe in and have been interested in pursuing. but, as has been said before, you gotta have clients willing to pay for the added design time, some added costs, and the decidedly non-brick-colonial aesthetic that usually results.

count me above the stubborn (of my description above) but soon to be beaten.

sorry so cynical this morning. good luck.

Jan 23, 07 8:55 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

I think "sustainability" and "green" are buzz words. It's only a marketing term, when in actuality we should only have responsible design and scrap the cliche catch phrases.

Tell a client you want to design a "green" building and chances are they're going to balk at it. Talk to that same client about being "responsible" in the design of their building and chances are they'll give you some more time to explain.

Jan 23, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
TED

cliche

Jan 23, 07 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
cvankle

Buzz aside is anyone else doing the solar decathlon? Just curious, designing, building, and testing a house that is entirely self-sufficient does not seem to be just hype to me. Eco friendly design-build seems like a natural combination to me. While it may not be directly applicable in the business world I still think I have learned more from this than any other studio.

Jan 24, 07 12:03 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

What an interesting question -- and one that brings me back to a favorite theme -- i.e. why are we always looking at ourselves as victims or asking others for permission or authorization to do something ?

Whether licensed or not, we each should consider ourself to be a "professional" in the truest sense of that word. We have a professional obligation to our clients and to our profession and to society to apply what we know in support of each constituency. If "sustainable" is the right thing to do, then you have an obligation, as a professional, to be sustainable and to apply principals of sustainability in your work.

Admittedly, we do live in a world with constraints and we don't always have the personal freedoms in a firm to pursue all that we'd like to do on our own. But, if you believe in sustainability and are willing to learn what you need to learn, that's something you bring to work every day and, to the maximum extend possible, you ought to apply what you know wherever you can ... even if you have to be "stealthily sustainable".

The planet will thank you !

Jan 24, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

i won't be beaten! I can't be beaten!

green architecture forever!!!!

Jan 24, 07 5:22 pm  · 
 · 
joshuacarrell

Simply tell your client that you are designing an "energy efficient" building. They don't balk anymore. I can tell them how much the "standard" building will cost them in the next "x" amount of years, they listen. We are working on a LEED Community Pilot here, the client is gung-ho and loving the attention. Now, if we could just get the design review board to agree...

I find that the fear of clients balking stops our principal architects from broaching the subject than actual balking from the clients. If you are a young pre-arch/architect, don't work for firms that won't at least propose green solutions to EVERY client. They will outsource your job anyway in their ultimate pursuit of being amazingly cheap for the clients.
j

Jan 24, 07 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: