Archinect
anchor

travelling in america

n.n.n.ate

hello to all my friends in america im from england im working in kansas city. stratigically well placed to travel to all corners of america. im here for one year and would like to see and experience as much as i can not nessercerily just the A word but if there is some amazing thing you have seen or experienced please let me know.

Jan 20, 07 11:37 am

you can still drive along good chunks of route 66. i'd make sure at least some of it is on the itinerary.

rent a convertible in the spring.

...and you're welcome to visit us in louisville ky. besides being a cool city because of our olmsted parks, our recent spate of starchitecture, and a cool music scene, we've got the falls of the ohio, caves/caverns, horse races, and lots of bourbon in the vicinity.

Jan 20, 07 12:02 pm  · 
 · 
toms

take i-70 west, as far as you can go. the mountans here in colorado are breathtaking and offer great camping, hiking and sightseeing. If you come beofre summer you can even get some skiing in. West of here (utah mostly) is made up of mostly desert and salt flats, still beautiful.

Jan 20, 07 1:05 pm  · 
 · 
n.n.n.ate

hey thanks guys but.... as my buget doesnt allow for a chauffer and that i dont know how to drive (gasp...)sooo.... that might be difficult. i have been to european cities italy especially and really enjoy the experience of walking or riding on my bike around

Jan 20, 07 3:51 pm  · 
 · 
n.n.n.ate

ps steven is there anything specific you recommend doing, seeing in louisville different, fun .... inspiring, sublime ?

Jan 20, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

damn, you know how hard it is to bike around america? unless you have a chunk of time?

otherwise, stick to larger cities (chicago, nyc, montreal)

Jan 20, 07 4:03 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

If you can get a ride - Go west and North West - The mountains of the Sierras, Rockies and Pacific Northwest are stunning in their beauty and vastness.

Otherwise NYC, Chicago, Boston etc. for ease of mobility without an auto

I see Montreal is listed above - I hear its really cool - never been to Canada before. Also Quebec (sp?)

Jan 22, 07 9:30 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

why travel if you get the travel channel?

Jan 22, 07 9:42 am  · 
 · 
treekiller

Hey, didn't we spend most of last summer creating an itinarary for another brit out on walk-about?

fyi most x-country bike tours are 60-80 days...

KC ain't very connected by mass transit to the rest of the place. you gotta fly, drive or swim to get out of dodge...

Jan 22, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
kakacabeza

Make some friends who know how to drive and do a road trip. it is the quintessential american experience. a good book is jamie jensen's Road Trip USA (he was trained as an architect).

I'd second the opinions about seeing the west. The thing America has that Europe really doesn't is vast, open, nothingness. Travelling there will help you understand why many americans think the way they do.

Jan 22, 07 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

You could take a tour bus with seniors to places like the grand canyon and yellowstone. Honestly, without a car it's tough to "see" America. Canada as well for that matter.

One option would be Amtrak. Their scenic routes across the plains and through the rockies are good scenery. Don't really get to stop in the towns along the way but do see the scenery.

Washington DC is a must for city walking. Great history and culture to keep you busy. The district is walkable and good transit there to get you around without a car. Just fly into national airport, not dulles.

Jan 22, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: