Archinect
anchor

door hinge for concrete door

sanofiSYN

A friend of mine just opened a new restaurant. The door to the kitchen is really heavy. It's actually a typical wood door that the contractor put mesh onto then poured concrete over. The problem is it is so heavy that it is tilting, causing it to not close securely. Anyone have suggestions on a good hinge for this - preferably an invisible one, or one that is not too obvious?

Jan 19, 07 4:46 pm
snooker

DIEBOLD: BANK VAULT DOORS.....THEY HAVE VERY GOOD HINGES.I believe the tolerance is like 1/10,000 of an inch.

Jan 19, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Think you might have to buy the vault along with the door.

Jan 19, 07 6:46 pm  · 
 · 

What's the weight of the door? That's the real question...you can get hinges for 500 to 1000lb that can keep tolerances of up to about 1/2 mm. The bigger ones are would require the doors to be reset/ maybe even recast

Jan 19, 07 7:17 pm  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

yeah, but what kind of jamb do you have to sustain that door?! a not so obvious hinge for a concrete door??????? uh....?? huh? wha??

Jan 19, 07 7:39 pm  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

how about a top and bottom pin?

Jan 19, 07 8:14 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I agree with dammson... This seems like a job for a pivot set. Rixson has pivot sets for doors up to 1000 lbs.

Jan 19, 07 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
blackcomb1

Gosh maybe the contractor should have considered that before installation, a little confused why as a friend you are sourcing out the solution. Not trying to be snarky but if it had been designed that issue might have come up earlier and resolved in the appropriate sequence.

I agree that the pivot hinge solution might be the best route.

Jan 20, 07 8:28 pm  · 
 · 
jones

Yep, like Scarpa would do....go with a pivot set.

Jan 21, 07 1:15 am  · 
 · 
binary

slide door if u have room

Jan 21, 07 10:24 am  · 
 · 
spirk

how about some more info about the door.
size - is it 3' X 7' or larger
what kind of frame - steel, HM, alumium
what is the wall contruction - cmu, gyp bd on metal studs
what type of concrete and how much what's the thickness.

if the conc is normal weight 150 #/cf with 1" of cover on a 3' X 7' door it would probably weigh around 750#'s if lightweight conc was used it would weigh around 450#'s.

A lead lined door in a hospital may weigh as much as your conc door. The problem may not be the hinges but actually in the wall construction. The frame and wall needs to be built to adequately support the weight of the door.

Jan 21, 07 2:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: