Archinect
anchor

(How) Would you quit?

Rang

Situation:

My girlfriend is a young landscape designer working for a design/build landscape company.  Her boss has a history of not being a stand up guy. Imagine the worst boss cliches you can think of.

Earlier this week he fired a laborer who was a convicted felon on parole (history of violence, hard drugs).  While terminating this employee he cited specifically her evaluation of his work.  Since then she has received a message  on her company phone from the laborer that were of an accusatory and perhaps threatening nature. 

What it comes down to is that the boss threw her under the bus to take some heat off of him during the termination.  Shes turning in her two weeks right now. 

I want to hear opinions from you guys.  Would you keep working for this guy?  What would you do?

Jun 8, 12 5:54 pm
Rusty!

I would pay the laborer (with drugs) to kill one of the Kardasians and frame it on the asshole boss. Ta ta!

"My girlfriend is a young... "

How young? We need pics.

Jun 8, 12 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
Sergo Antadze

so, she is going to quit because boss threw her under the bass? is this her first ever professional job? ?????

what she will do when she will be thrown under the bass next time with next employer? 

Jun 9, 12 3:14 am  · 
 · 

I've worked for half a dozen employers over 20 years and have never been thrown under the bus (or the bass).  Not all bosses are assholes (as Tiko-G's comment implies).

It sounds like she's generally unhappy in this job and this was the final straw.  She should quit politely, without accusations, and as she interviews for new jobs remember that it's a small community.  Potentially this boss will be angry that she is quitting and will trash talk her to anyone who calls for a reference.  If she is asked about this in interviews, she needs to take the high road and say something non-accusatory like "We had a difference of opinion on how to professionally handle disputes, and I felt I had learned all that I could there."  Then if the person interviewing her says "Yeah, I understand - I always thought that guy was an asshole" then she can feel free to speak more freely about her experience.  But ALWAYS being fair and polite - better to err on the side of not gossiping even if she has to grit her teeth to force a smile.  She doesn't want the potential employer to think she will quit in a year and go around talking bad about them, too!  Good luck.

Jun 9, 12 8:15 am  · 
 · 
quizzical

MBS: I would like to ask whether your girlfriend did - in fact - provide a negative review of the fired employee's work?  That seems to be a relevant fact in determining whether she was "thrown under the bus".

Sometimes supervisory responsibility carries with it certain unpleasant aspects.

Jun 9, 12 11:16 am  · 
 · 
metal

was just about to say something similar.

If the laborer was doing a bad job and she called him out on it, did he recieve any warnings?
With crazies the situation has to be handled delicately.

Jun 9, 12 11:20 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

Donna's post above does have merit for your girlfirend's future, and it would probably serve her best to be the more mature person.  However, I feel like it should be noted that the high road is not always the most fun option.

here is an example of a gentleman who chose not to take the high road.  while potential future employers may not find that too amusing, i'm sure many of the rest of us do

Also, if she had a reason to expect confidentiality when speaking with her boss regarding her coworker, it's still throwing her under the bus.  he-said she-said crap is not professional and if the boss made a decision based on input from the girlfriend, i still think the boss should take ownership of the decision and not push it onto the employee.

Jun 9, 12 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Sergo Antadze

Donna,

not all bosses are assholes, in fact I have wonderful boss, but at work you are dealing with many other people and it is part of being in real world. Yes, I have been thrown under the bus (yes, BUS sorry for automatic spell check) many times, but I always defended myself instead of simply quitting the job. 

if person is not generally happy at work that is different subject, but we are talking about particular incident.

Jun 9, 12 1:20 pm  · 
 · 
i r giv up

bass, how low can you go?

Jun 9, 12 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

this is seriously crappy ...  Tiko, you have a good point, but once you point this out to the bossman, he will likely put you on the chopping block next. Sleazy move. BBB report. I agree with Donna.

Jun 9, 12 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

I vote for pictures too.

Jun 10, 12 11:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: