Archinect
anchor

Bored at work? What to do?

Reason

I can't believe I face the same problem not long after I start my new job. Everything seems great at the beginning. I got a big project, being the project manager, sending out proposals to consultants, doing designs. Then the boss in headquarter never want to make decisions on consultants, and said because they wait for the client to sign contract, and the client needs to wait for the bank to prove the loan before signing the contract. The boss and his assistant don't response to my design revision. I'm not sure what to do, get really bored. I even registered a realtor study course on line to keep me busy. At mean time I help them to do some translation for a Chinese project. They are going to work on it in the main office, and go to China to do the presentation, but not me. I tired to reading realtor study guide, bored, I wonder if I should change my job again, maybe to a company's main headquarter who is doing Chinese project, so I can get do something exciting. I'm not sure why it seems everyone else is very busy in this field, but not me. And it seems happen to every place I go. And advice on what I should do? Thank you!

Jan 16, 07 6:32 pm
snooker

REASON, Take off the white gloves....learn as much as you can about real estate and start flipping properties, then buy the fricking firm out, so you can make the trips to China.

Jan 16, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Snooker, that's maybe a good idea. I think the only way to keep my self busy is to work for myself. Since I'm too fast at doing things. Doing real estate maybe is a good start. Thank you!

Jan 16, 07 6:54 pm  · 
 · 
Chch

...in the meantime this should entertain you

Jan 16, 07 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
leeque
http://www.ouverture-facile.com/start/index.html

i'm on level 28 =X

Jan 17, 07 1:58 am  · 
 · 
strlt_typ

or work on getting your own design/build operation started...

my boss runs one and he's constantly busy making decisions in the office and at the jobsite...

Jan 17, 07 2:38 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Hey leeque, I'm on an even higher level...

Jan 17, 07 2:40 am  · 
 · 
postal

leeque...you are one evil person. i will never be able to get anything done ever again!

Jan 17, 07 9:09 am  · 
 · 
leeque

Garpike --- help!! i'm stuck on level 28!

Postal .... MUHAHAHAH!!

Jan 17, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
I love archinect

Bored at work dont know what to do? I say QUIT! haha

Jan 17, 07 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Yes, I thought about that. But it always the same, after I changed companies for quite a few times. I don't believe people when they say "I'm so busy". Both the principals at my last two jobs said so, but I don't feel busy at all, besides a few weeks unnecessary crunch, which don't need to happen if plan well ahead. American like to pretend to be busy, and feel good about it, but how efficient people actually are, is really a question. You see people chatting none related things all the time, and so many people spend so much time here is also the evidence.

But, I wonder if I should be a bit patient and wait for the project to pick up speed again. I don't think change job will solve the problem.

Jan 17, 07 7:43 pm  · 
 · 
spaghetti
http://www.foon.co.uk/farcade/haplandseries/
Jan 18, 07 1:44 am  · 
 · 
I love archinect

your right, over here in england there is a similsr culture of "fuck off i'm busy" makes me sick of it sometimes really.

Jan 18, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 
auvn

to Reason: I don't think you should generalize about Americans as you did. You ,for sure, don't like or hagt me if I generalize about yours country's traits.
In architecture, I think fast-working might not go together with good/creative design (efficiency is different stories). Real Estate hardly goes hand in hand with architecture but building.

I am really curious to see your projects. In the mean time, if you are bored, you can contribute to archinect's community by writing and posting something interesting.

Jan 19, 07 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Reason

Auvn, Thanks for your input. I think you are right, generalization is usually not right.
I'm not talking about fast working, but efficient. I could keep working on my project, without knowing the direction that client wants to go. I think it's waste of time, that why I'm waiting. I think doing real estate will help me to connect to the real world, and see what people are actually doing. And provide the tool for me to see first hand of listing, buy the right house and maybe remodel it. Architecture is building, without building the building, it's only talks.

YOu are right, I should use the time to study architecture and design and contribute to Archinect. But I think we should connect to the real world here, not just talk about famous architects, what they are doing, talk about theories. I think talking about frustration we met during practice is also a way to communicate and find solutions for our day to day practice.

Jan 19, 07 11:38 am  · 
 · 
auvn

well put Reason,
I agree that doing without knowing the direction is one of the worst thing.
I love to have a chance to build something also - but I think how you build is more important. But I have agree, for most people price for a piece of "magazined" architecture often out of reach.

Jan 19, 07 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Reason

Auvn, You are right. Most architect live in the houses they don't really like, but can't afford well design homes, or the one they would like to design. At the mean time you see people without much knowledge of building or anyting else amking tons of money flipping properties, or buying houses and doing some simple remodels. I think instead of complaining not making a lot of money, maybe architects should connect more to the real world. Being the developers, make things happen, and take risks are the only ways to make money and hopeful promote good designs at the mean time. If most architects indulgent in theories and totally disconnected to the real world, it is no wonder why we can't make money.

Jan 19, 07 12:57 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

My 26 year old neigbor just did a property deal which will net him close to $150,000.00. What makes me sick is it is the house next door to mine. Well looking on the bright side...it does increase the value of my house when I'm ready to sell.

Jan 19, 07 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
jones

Snook, that same thing happened right next door to us. Painful to watch and learn how to make 100k in 4 months. I felt like such a dumbass.

You're onto something Reason.

Jan 21, 07 1:24 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: