Archinect
anchor

Is a building an organism?

laistm

I'm trying to prove that a building is a sort of organism.

how do you think architecture will be affected in the future by concepts like nanotechnology. Will it allow our buildings to be generated like a typical organism? as in programme a sort of building's "DNA" which then goes ahead and the building then grows itself?

Jan 16, 07 6:25 am

I suppose 'building as organism' is a trajectory of a certain strand of Modernism. Hugo Haring wrote about this in the 1920's. However, I'm personally also interested in the expression of architecture aesthetically (and of course Expressionism was twinned with the afforementioned) because humans, unusual amongst organisms (or at least to our own, limited knowledge) are self-aware and thus have a corresponding need of expression to said awareness. Therefore, I wouldn't regard robotic buildings as some sort of an improvement, although I appreciate the inherent virtue in fine-tuning and developing technologies in the service of a larger, properly understood scenario.

Jan 16, 07 8:45 am  · 
 · 
postal

everything is an organization...the leap to organism is unnecessary...

a building is a organization of program, equipment, people, personalities, materials, etc.

reality an organization of perceptions

organisms and organization of cells

check out kisho kurokawa and the metabolist movement for some precedents... though notice the failure in the development of modularity...

anyone interested in purchasing a capsule from the capsule tower? i hear its falling on troubling times... i'd give anything to ship one over here and plug it into a building..

Jan 16, 07 9:26 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

a building is not an organism. however, mold is and is the asbestos of our generation.

Jan 16, 07 10:10 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Man, can you imagine the pain in the ass of zoning and property law if buildings started to grow?

solidred, research is beginning to show the elephants are selfaware. Pretty cool.

Not a knock on you, just more something brought on by the same terms heard 1000 times. Is anyone else tired of the barrage of student projects that are 943829483 cf rooms/voids/affordances/whatever, with 3 sf of floor space connected by endless MC Escher like stairs? "I did cellular automata!!!!" "I looked at soap bubbles!!" "VORONOI!!!!" It's like "hmmm what can i do with this weird shape that I made...stairs. Here? Yeah... more stairs. Maybe this is...some stairs, yeah stairs."

Jan 16, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

does anybody remember laughter?

Jan 16, 07 11:29 am  · 
 · 
wangsta

and it makes me wonder...

Jan 16, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 

"and it makes me wonder..."

- is that from .... ah yes, of course it is ;-)

Jan 16, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
orEqual

It is, as often as a raven is like a writing desk.

Jan 16, 07 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The difference between laughter and slaughter is an "s."

Jan 16, 07 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
laistm

does anyone know about utility fog?

Jan 28, 07 12:43 am  · 
 · 
shaner

"does anyone know about utility fog?"

...is that like that fog that turns your skin inside out?

Jan 28, 07 1:27 am  · 
 · 
laistm

nope.... i read a bit about it here n there. it's this crazy thing scientists are working on....got to with nanotech. this is like this incredibly small nanobot which floats in the air... and on command can take on any form such as...you can ask it to become a plank of wood and it'll do precisely that...so the potential for such a technology is immense. I need more detailed info though...

Jan 28, 07 1:33 am  · 
 · 
job job

I'd like to hear more about shaner's utility fog - that's one crazy fog

have you seen the peace fog? There's blood in the streets, it's up to my ankles

Jan 28, 07 1:47 am  · 
 · 
job job

man, you better watch out for the skindeep

Jan 28, 07 2:01 am  · 
 · 
cloak and dagger

transience

temporailty

biomimetic architecture

the AADRL

tecno-social interactions and exchanges

not organic-like static form(s) or one iteration of a sequence study

but truly adaptable systems and materials that provide smart and organsim-like response properties

smart materials and technologies - a couple harvard professors

decoi

Jan 29, 07 12:30 am  · 
 · 
Nevermore

Laistm , are you an architect or a scientist ?

Jan 29, 07 1:44 am  · 
 · 
Serkan Ennac

no it's not, is internet an organism?

Jan 29, 07 3:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: