Archinect
anchor

what to see in Tokyo...

Cameron

I'm off to Tokyo tomorrow for a couple of meetings and to kickstart AFH Tokyo. I have 2 days spare and have never been to Japan. What should I see...

I am staying between the Roppongi and Azabu-Juban Subway Stops till the 24th.

Cheers
C.

Jan 16, 07 3:10 am
starrchitect

Check out the Imperial Garden during the day...it is amazing.

Also, go to Shinjuku and Shibuya your first night there, jetlag or not. Dont be surprised if Shinjuku gives you seizures. Also the little alley in Aoyama is cool to hang around in the afternoon, when all the kids are out of school. Its like being in a high school corridor between classes all over again.

Dont go hang around Roppongi too much, its kinda skanky. Roppongi Hills tower is very cool, but not much to buy. Everything is crazy expensive.

Jan 16, 07 3:50 pm  · 
 · 
THEaquino

I too am going to Japan soon...much advice would be awesome

Jan 16, 07 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

I am in Japan this week.
Now in Osaka and going to Tokyo this weekend.

Guess on my lists are
-the flagships of Prada, Dior, Tod's
-Yokohama_ferry terminal
- Is the capsule block building hard to find?

what else?

May 1, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sconie

I visited tokyo in march for about a week. so there are probably some folks who know a little more than me. i relied on "no mad": link its definitely for design-minded people.

I would put aside a good chunk of time to explore omotesando(&aoyama)--it definitely has the most architecture to look at, though at night there isnt too much to do. I traveled with my (ex)girlfriend and shes works in the garment industry so between the architecture and super-high fashion we had a pretty full few day. besides the flagship stores you mentioned, there are a lot of very cool boutiques that are definitely worth exploring. also, omotesando and harajuku are close to one another--walking distance.

roppongi is home to superdelux, the basement club/gallery where tokyo Pecha Kucha takes place(and began). they dont open until late, but you can still get at their flyer table--tons of events and shows. link

shibuya has j-pop of babble fame, and morph cafe which is cool. shibuya after dark is spectacle in itself.

i dont know too much about shinjuku or daikanyama.

if you havent been to japan before, the address system is something to get used to, but you can ask the subway info people for area maps which help somewhat. Their even more helpful if you know a little nihongo. i found lonely planets maps to be useless in comparison.

May 1, 07 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: