Archinect
anchor

Material for Model making

KheeKhee

Im a new student in architeture field,well..I need ur guys help,im going to make a model with scale 1:50 n 1:20 , my design is so curvy,its almost look like a ball ,a distorted ball, a water drop,so i dont know what material to use to make it.Thanks !! help me guys ...please

Jun 7, 12 6:49 pm
accesskb

modelling clay, plasticine, foam core, cardboard, wire etc

Jun 7, 12 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
G4tor

also, plaster could also work. one more idea would be to create a rigid skeleton using steel wires or steel mesh and draping the skeleton with plaster bandages. you can also try sculpey (soft until baked) which i would actually recommend for this application. 

Jun 7, 12 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
KheeKhee

I want make something simple but look nice...bcz my submission due on monday.i dn hav much time left...cardboard will help but they said too much scoring n slicing to do n it wont look nice eithr....anyway thx for introducing sculpey...

Jun 8, 12 12:46 am  · 
 · 
joker

You could also use papier mache. Not the kind you made in kindergarten, mind you, I'm talking about the kind where you use copious amounts of quick-drying gesso and sandpaper to smooth it all out (you can still use newsprint or whatever paper you can quickly turn into a pulp). It's not nearly as fussy as hard-baked clay and much more resilient to mishaps.

If all else fails, go get some styrofoam blocks/spheres/cones, glue them together as per your design, and start carving and sanding away. Then fill in the pores with plaster or gesso and smooth it over with sandpaper (no avoiding this if you want something nice).

Jun 8, 12 3:48 am  · 
 · 
KheeKhee

Guys,thanks for the detailed info,some materials u guys mentioned,i cnt find it in nearby store...so,basically i got some materials such as :brown board,modelling board,rubber sheet,wire mesh. i will try to make the model out.

Jun 8, 12 9:23 am  · 
 · 
KheeKhee

this is my concept.well,not sure if im going to change my design later

Jun 8, 12 9:33 am  · 
 · 

Sculpey modeling clay.

Jun 8, 12 11:42 pm  · 
 · 
design

just 3d print it

Jun 9, 12 2:23 am  · 
 · 
backbay

at my school we weren't allowed to use curves until somewhere between sophomore and junior year, and if we did we needed a damn good reason.  i totally stick by this.

Jun 10, 12 12:38 am  · 
 · 
KheeKhee

Oh,now i have modelling board,just wanna figure out how to build a hemisphere using it...

Jun 10, 12 4:37 am  · 
 · 
bmpietras

Do you have access to a 3D printer or laser cutter? model it in rhino, mesh the surface, reduce to reasonable # of triangulations, explode, and print the pieces. (or cut them by hand, more time consuming).

or just use modeling clay. the best idea though is using the wire mesh/papier mache. you say though that you're probably going to change the design? Then just make a massing model out of insulation board and carve out the cavities with a knife and sandpaper. quick and easy. 

Jun 11, 12 10:00 am  · 
 · 
joncro55

What size mesh are you using here and is it flexible?

In the past I have tried to form some things using wire mesh on the surface, and it never turned out well for me, the material was rough hard and not easy to form.  Eventually I called the manufacturer - http://www.bwire.com/ - and they sent me a heat treated (annealed) piece of the wire cloth material, which was much softer, and this material was 1000% easier to work with, even kept its shape perfectly with every fold and form.

Just some advice for you there - anneal is the key to mesh forming.

Jun 20, 12 10:56 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: